Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 16, 2006, 10:21 AM   #1

Hello all,

Just wondering how much video I can take with a Sandisk 512Mb card? Probably normal movie mode.

guitardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2006, 1:27 PM   #2

In general, not very much. The exact amount depends on the camera (what kind of compression it uses) and the movie resolution and frame rate. Also, for recording movies, you will need a fast memory card - typically 50x or better. The Panasonic DMC-FZ20 only records in 320x240 resolution at either 10 or 30 frames per second. At 30 fps, it can record up to 17 minutes on a 512 MB card. A camera using the same compresion mode recording at 640x480 would not be able to record nearly that long at 30 fps. It's not excatly 1/4 of that time, but probably not too far off. Some cameras limit recording time per segment to a certain size or time even if the card has enough room to record longer. The Canon S2 IS can record about 4.4 minutes on a 512 MB card at 640x480 in 30 fps mode. It also limits recordings to 1 GB, even if you have a larger card. Its recordings are excellent, in terms of both video and sound quality, but it's very sensitive to handling noise. If you're recording a quiet nature scene, you'll definitely hear motor noise if you zoom and possibly even your hand operating on the camera. But the same is true of all three camcorders I've owned, so that's not really a complaint against the S2 IS.
DaveLundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 2:10 PM   #3

hi thanks for the response.

I have a Canon A610. So I guess i could get like 4mins out of it. Shit. That is not much at all. How much you think with a 1gb. I dont even know what kinda of setting I would be using except whatever would hold the most and pretty good quality. I wanna connect to my tv and make a dvd out of it.

Its going to be a video of a show like 30mins probably.

Thanks.

- K
guitardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 6:25 PM   #4

If you can, I think you should just buy a MiniDV camcorder. You can get a decent one for $300. The quality will be much better than than the MPEG4 or AVI that most digital still cameras take.
Brian Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote