Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 17, 2006, 1:36 PM   #1

Does anyone know of a technical reason that Nikon, or any other manufacturer, does not provide split image focusing? I am getting a little older and manual focusing is becoming guess work. I've seen some third party screens, mostly for Cannon. Would hate to give up on Nikon for a reason like this.
dadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2006, 11:09 AM   #2

No idea why they don'e include it other than just about all cameras are auto focus now and the autofocus is fast and accurate. You also get several selectable focusing areas so the subject doesn't need to be central when focusing.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 7:23 PM   #3

I have been told that they can cause problems with the metering.

But I don't honestly know if that is true. I've used a split-screen in a Canon AE-1 and liked it a lot.

Some of the higher end Canon cameras can take alternate screens, but for some of them you need support in the camera for them... they have settings that adjust for the change in way the camera does exposure.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 9:10 AM   #4
DBB

dadams wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone know of a technical reason that Nikon, or any other manufacturer, does not provide split image focusing? I am getting a little older and manual focusing is becoming guess work. I've seen some third party screens, mostly for Cannon. Would hate to give up on Nikon for a reason like this.
I've also read that there are technical reasons for this.

Do you have a link for those third parties who make this screen for Canon cameras? If they can do it for Canon, no doubt they could do it for Nikon.

As to the question of their usefullness and the accuracy of auto-focus - One need only try to shoot in heavy brush to find that everything but your target gets focused on...:G

So I would also be interested, even though my eyes are holding up...

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 9:23 AM   #5

Here's a link to a third-party solution for the D70:

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Ni...cat_nikon.html

They do note that the metering of the camera can be thrown off by up to 2/3 of a stop.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 12:10 PM   #6
DBB

Much thanks! Perhaps they'll come out with one for the D2x. It's not a big deal to change these screens - so if I don't like it, I can put the original back.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote