Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 13, 2003, 3:47 PM   #1

Default New Digicam

Hello
sorry, but I'm a novice in digi cam, but I would like to buy me one. For the moment I live in Canada (Vancouver) until June 2003. Shall I buiy one here or when I'm back in Europe (Luxembourg).

Which one do you recommend ??
My financial possibilities are between 500 and 650 Euro.

Perhaps I would like to buy the C750UZ or C740Uz, I would like do to have a good optical zoom, but also a lot of Megapixel.

I'm used to an Reflex Camera (Canon AE1)

Thanks a lot
Pacojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2003, 4:26 PM   #2

Well, the 740 and 750 won't be released to market until April and May. From the pre-release information I find them still lacking (an auto-focus assist beam for one). You may want to look at others like the Minolta DiMage 7 series (7, 7i, 7hi, etc.) or maybe a dSLR.

As someone who came from using a totally manual SLR (only thing electronic was the light meter) I found the C-700 a little restrictive...it's not a bad camera, but I found myself wanting more freedom like direct controls for the lens rather than pushing buttons and having the camera then do the actions.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2003, 4:33 PM   #3

Buy in Canda or the US. Based on price comments from the North, your best bet would be wait and buy in the US. Advantage also that Steve will have review the C750 by then. I am also disappointed that the C750 does not appeart to have a photo assist lamp or image stablization.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2003, 4:44 PM   #4

The question is of course if the new 7x0's have switchable NTSC/PAL video output...if you never want to view your pictures on TV, or if your TV in Europe has multiple TV standards, this isn't an issue. Also, you won't have any warranty support in Europe...if you need repair under warranty you will have to send your camera to someone here, who will then send it to Oly US, and back the same way.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote