Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 20, 2006, 9:27 PM   #1

A friend took her camera to the photo shop to have pix printed and the machine showed there were 160 pictures on the card(not sure which type she has), but they couldn't access them to print them until the next day. Can flash cards become worn out in some way? I'm sure if not properly handled, or if it got wet or something, but under normal use, do they last forever? Any input would be appreciated.
mcdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2006, 10:49 PM   #2

No. The memory can eventually beceom faulty and misrecord/playback information. I have seen it happened to USB flash drives before, but they can usually be mostly recovered with recoery software.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 11:34 PM   #3

They last into the many hundreds of thousands of writes. Technically it isn't forever, but effectively you'll probably not burn them out for so many years that you'll have replaced the cards with much better ones before they die.

They can get corrupted and you can loose images on them. But that is almost always a software (how the data is structured on the card) issue not a hardware issue.

And CF and SD use effectively the same flash chips inside, so they will have the same attributes.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 12:14 AM   #4

I use the Kingston Elite Pro 1gig sd card with life time warranty. All Kingston memory cards come with that.
casefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 10:00 AM   #5

Thanks for the info!
mcdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote