Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 20, 2006, 11:25 PM   #1

I am considering buying a digicam that takes video at 640 x480 30 fps. I know it is not the same quality as a digital camcorder, but can anyone tell me how 640 x480 30 fps compares to the digital camcorder?

Thanks

DRW
danrweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2006, 7:09 PM   #2

I can only speak about the movie quality of the Canon S2 IS, which is great. I also have a Panasonic PV-GS15 camcorder, which also produces very good video for its modest price. In most cases, I can't see that the video from the camcorder is any better than from the still camera, although the maximum theoretical miniDV resolution is slightly higher (720x480 vs. 640x480). Obviously you can record for much longer time with the camcorder than you can with the still camera. But if you're not planning to make a movie, but just want to capture a minute or two of video from time to time, and also want a good still camera, I highly recommend the Canon S2 IS as a great, relatively small, very versatile camera. I think the audio recorded by the Panasonic camcorder has somewhat less camera handling noise than the Canon S2 IS, but both capture the noise your hand makes when operating the camera, as well as motor noise when zooming - but the camcorder doesn't pick up quite as much of it.
DaveLundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 10:11 PM   #3

That is exactly what I was hoping to hear! Thanks for the info.

I am debating between the Canon S2, Kodak P850 and the Dimage Z5. They all have basically the same fetures and get excellent reviews. The only thing the Canon has over the other 2 is stereo sound. The Dimage is over $100 cheaper, but is so butt ugly I just don't think I can bring myself to buy it.

Anybody else have any advice?

DRW
danrweaver is offline   Reply With Quote