Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 21, 2006, 7:55 AM   #1

i shot a video of my daughter at the carnival using my canon S2is. it was set on the highest resolution and fastest speed (fps), and wow! video mode on this cam is awesome!! but now that i see the huge file sizes (1min of video is about 120MB!), is there any way to reduce the file sizes so i can email them?

also.. what are the .THM files that accompany all the AVI files in my S2?
asr dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2006, 8:16 AM   #2

The THM files are most likely thumbnail files. As for compressing your avi file, it is already compressed, so you may not be able to compress it much further. You could try something like WinZip if you just want to compress it to save space. To compress it and still be able to play the file, would result in lesser quality.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 8:32 AM   #3

hi there!

would you know any program that can reduce the resolution and maybe frame rate of the video? i'd be OK with lowering the quality of the video as long as i can get it down to a reasonable size for emailing.

thanks.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 10:26 AM   #4
E.T

You don't want to use any other than 30fps mode for videoclips, because with lower framerates motion isn't anymore smooth and it starts to look like looking still frames.

amazingthailand wrote:
Quote:
The THM files are most likely thumbnail files. As for compressing your avi file, it is already compressed, so you may not be able to compress it much further.
In this case compressing it much further should be quite easy...

Remember that MPEG4 codecs can pack ~hour of DVD-quality video with AC3 (DD5.1) audio track to one CD-ROM. (600MB excluding audio)

For that you need codec and video conversion program.
FlaskMPEG is one of oldest of those.
But Virtualdub is other program which has been becoming more common.
http://www.virtualdub.org/

You can also use VirtualDub to cut shorter clips from video if it has "empty moments".

For compressing you can apply this guide... start from Calculating bitrate, one minute should go to ~10MB without any visible quality decrease.
http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/arch...vd_to_xvid.cfm

For audio you can just use direct stream copy, although I suspect audio isn't compressed anyway.

But you can use this program for checking codecs used by videofile.
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 1:48 PM   #5

thanks ET! i was able to reduce the file sizes using virtualdub. i'm still experimenting with this program, but so far, it works great!!