Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 14, 2003, 2:59 PM   #1

Default advanced computer interface SLR's

Are there Digital SLR cameras that can allow you to specify what directory/category to send pictures to on the computer, right on the camera's LCD display, and then send it real-time via firewire?

I am photographing 1,000's of various items in a random order, and a lot of time is wasted after photographing at the computer, organizing images into categories (and making index listings manually too).

It would save a lot of time if I could quickly select a preset directory on the camera LCD and photo's will be sent (via firewire ideally) to the computer, into that directory.

Thanks,

SP
Calenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2003, 3:52 PM   #2

Interesting question. Most digital cameras are designed around the expectations of a film cam, where storage media is 'digital film' which can be removed, popped into Walmart for prints or read by a pc.

What you want is something I've mentioned in response to questions about a plethora of media standards - a cam with a firewire/usb interface that writes directly to whatever storage you hang on it, or even a pc. But what you want requires application software in the cam. The only cams I know that can do this sort of remote thing, with a pc in control are webcams. Now I know my Fuji 602 can be used as a webcam, controlled down the usb port, I've never used this Fuji feature and it isn't something other users think they'd ever need (webcams are cheaper). As I've never used the feature, I can't even tell you if it's full res. or not.

I suspect your requirement will not be met, due to lack of application firmware in the camera. But now you mention it, there must be a number of business uses, where a camera tethered and managed from a pc could be useful. Some of the members using remote control on their cameras might help.

Somebody posted some info in the media section about compact flash cards with a built in usb interface. Whether you can get an app. written for a pc to copy files out of a card to your own directories might be possible. As long as the cam is CF compatible it has the advantage of working in any CF cam. Uncharted territory though I think.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2003, 4:46 PM   #3

I've never used Nikon Capture. I do believe that Capture can be used to transfer the pictures over to the PC in real time. I've heard good things about it. I don't know which (if any) Nikon cameras support FireWire. So its does part of what you are asking.

Anyone out there know more about Capture?
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2003, 6:49 PM   #4

BINGO: I did find a camera that has exactly this:

Kodak DCS Pro 14n

If you look in the manual (they have a pdf online), it has a couple pages explaining image filing. I can't tell how easy it is to access the directory options while you're photographing (I'd need to do it fast), but at least it's something.

Yea, it's not exactly a feature that has been explored (more advanced methods of file management).

There is a plethora of people that would pay good money for this kind of functionality, regardless of the rest of the cameras features.

I don't even care for having a real-time connection with my computer... if I could simply assign directories to subsequent photos as I am taking photos, then that right there is more than adequate. I could simply bring the flashcard over and copy the directories off onto matching named directories on my harddrive.

Anyone who needs to photograph and catalog massive collections of things could save loads of time if digital cameras had simple tweaks to the managing of files. Retailers, online auctioneers, collectors, etc... don't forget 100's of uses for industrial/scientific/military.

The Kodak camera is about $5000 US. Out of my price range (I was thinking a $1500 D-SLR). But looking at this issue now, who's to say a $500 consumer camera wouldn't have this simple firmware to manage directories onto a flash card?

Since it seems like no one knows or cares about this kind of feature (the general feel I get out of the various DC forums online), I'll probably have to go on a search through every camera manual online... haha.
Old Mar 14, 2003, 7:11 PM   #5

So is a dozen smartMedia cards with a label on to simple? Each card can be assigned a unique volume ID. When it gets to the pc, it's not that difficult for a bright kiddy to write some code to use the volume ID to create a directory of the same name and move files to it? When you change your shooting category you just reformat the card with an updated volume ID.

A dozen cards and a few beers to the software whiz might be cheaper than that cam you were looking at!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2003, 7:28 PM   #6
NHL

Quote:
The Kodak camera is about $5000 US. Out of my price range (I was thinking a $1500 D-SLR). But looking at this issue now, who's to say a $500 consumer camera wouldn't have this simple firmware to manage directories onto a flash card?
The D7's can shoot to programmable directories...

BTW the Nikon D1's can shoot to a network drive through their Firewire port as well 8) 8) 8). http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/NC3_man.pdf Page 9 & 194, Eric s was right even with the D100's USB! (just slighly slower )

Does anyone know about the Fuji S2 ???
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2003, 8:29 PM   #7

"The D7's can shoot to programmable directories..."

Is that Kodak or Nikon you're referring to?
Old Mar 14, 2003, 8:39 PM   #8
NHL

The Minolta's D7/D7i and D7hi: You can name each directory in the CF flash card or microdrive by dates for example... (page 122)
http://www.minoltausa.com/eprise/mai...Detail=Manuals

Also I'm sure other dSLRs (ie Canon) can do this too since they are all competing for the same market 8)! Just don't shoot in raw with a USB1.1... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old Mar 14, 2003, 8:53 PM   #9

Cool, I saw that now on their site.

You can select which folder to put subsequent images into, and u can create new folders.

I will keep looking for more cameras and make a list.

The D7 is definately interesting to me... only $1500 Canadian!
Old Mar 14, 2003, 9:02 PM   #10
NHL

The D7i is much cheaper (than the D7hi) if you don't fancy the black body, sync terminal, or the extra buffer for raw pictures. Otherwise they are identical except for the price tag!

IMHO shoot with a microdrive, and then transfer the directories/pictures with a Firewire reader or PCMCIA adapter all fast alternatives... (and you don't have to be tethered!) 8) 8) 8)