Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 14, 2003, 5:16 PM   #1

Default Digital Camera and Lenses needed for CloseUp Photos

Can anyone teel me of a good quality digital camera i can use to get real sharp focus close up shots of objects including bicycles, watches, etc... I'm not really interested in hard copy photos but rather digital pictures i can put on websites and email to people. I have looked at several very high end digital cameras with the standard lenses but can't seem to find any that will focus very sharply at real close range. Would a camera like the Canon A60 do the job if i got the correct lenses for close up and closeup wide angle shots and if so, what would the correct lenses/attachments be?

Thanks
bobolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2003, 5:45 PM   #2

http://www.dpreview.com
In there reviews they have macros of what each setting can do the got zooms on watches cyarons and other objects
matt81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2003, 5:55 PM   #3

The Canon A-60 focuses as close as 5cm/2" according to http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/a70-60/specs.html

How much closer do you need to get...2 inches/5 cm isn't enough?

Looking at the camera, there doesn't look like there's any way to attach a closeup converter or filter to it.

Focusing close on objects require a tripod...it's very difficult to get a sharp picture holding the camera with your hands because in macro mode any movement is magnified.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2003, 5:59 PM   #4

I'm not an expert and I don't have experience with a wide range of cameras, but I am happy with the macro capabilities of my Olympus C-730. I've done a couple of experiments, and using it's "Super Macro" mode you can focus sharply down to a range of about 40mm which produces a target area that is approximately 50mm wide.

I have actually got a few macro shots in the "Olympus C-730 Test Photos" album of my web site. You have a look at these my clicking here, the one of the coin was about as close as I could get to it if I remember correctly.
Eddie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2003, 8:52 PM   #5

I too have realized very good macro shots using both an Olmpus
C-700 and C-730.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2003, 12:36 PM   #6

I suggest you give Olympus C-4000 a close look (pun intended! :lol: ) It can focus as close as 2cm/0.78inch.

Here's a sample picture I've taken with the C-4000:

If you want to see more, check out:

http://www.pbase.com/hyunyu/closeups

Good luck with your decision!
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2003, 3:46 PM   #7

Default Re: Digital Camera and Lenses needed for CloseUp Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobolink
Can anyone teel me of a good quality digital camera i can use to get real sharp focus close up shots of objects including bicycles, watches, etc... I'm not really interested in hard copy photos but rather digital pictures i can put on websites and email to people. I have looked at several very high end digital cameras with the standard lenses but can't seem to find any that will focus very sharply at real close range. Would a camera like the Canon A60 do the job if i got the correct lenses for close up and closeup wide angle shots and if so, what would the correct lenses/attachments be?
We all know that moving a camera closer to the subject will increase the size of the image on the image. There is a catch that we frequently missed when talking about close-up photography. That is: CLOSE-UP PHOTOGRAPHY IS NOT ABOUT HOW CLOSE THE CAMERA CAN BE PLACED IN FRONT OF THE SUBJECT. IT IS ABOUT MAGNIFICATION. If a subject of length L has length K measured on the image sensor, we will say the magnification is K/L. Different focal length lenses can produce the same magnification. Of course, with a fixed magnification, many people prefer to have a longer focal length because the extra distance could help lighting, composition, and the use of other accessories. However, longer focal length means shorter depth-of-field. Consequently, the choice of a camera that can do close-up actually depends what macro/close-up work you plan to do.

I would suggest that you go to a camera store with one of two subjects you wish to shoot and actually take some shots at the same distance. In this way, you will be able to determine the best camera that can do your job. Currently, Nikon's Coolpix 4500 is perhaps the best of all consumer digital cameras with a price tag less than $600. Moreover, Nikon's Coolpix series cameras has good support by third party. For example, Raynox has 2X and 5X close-up lenses and Nikon has a special ring light for macro photography SL-1. If you cannot afford this camera, then any camera with a good lens at the longer end would work fine. However, you need to invest some good close-up lenses and adapters for mounting these close-up lenses to the camera. If you have a camera with long zoom lens, you might also converter getting a macro coupler and a SLR 50mm lens and mount the latter reversely, with the macro coupler of course, on the camera lens. This setup can usually help achieve 1:1 magnification.

The thread page of my Coolpix 4500 user guide explains the macro coupler and the Close-Up pages of my Coolpix 995 explains some basics of close-up photography with Coolpix 995 (4500 is all the same), and the Close-Up page of my Coolpix 2500 user guide includes a short section about the use of close-up lenses and the concept and calculation of magnification.

Hope this helps.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 user guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote