Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 24, 2006, 8:18 PM   #1

If you are buying a camera soon, you might want to check out Costco for two reasons. While they do not have a lot of cameras in their stores, they do have a good selection of top cameras online. Yes, you need to be a member to purchase.

Perhaps the most compelling reason to buy from them is their return policy. If you don't like the camera or if it malfunctions, just take it back! There is no time limit! Their return policy in my opinion is only matched by Cabelas in terms of incredibly generous terms.

You need to use American Express to get a refund in cash...since that is their card of choice.

I was so surprised upon hearing of their return policy that I went back a second time to check.

Peace,

Larry
RiverLarry2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2006, 11:17 AM   #2

Avoid Circuit City at all costs! 15% restocking fee and 14 day limit on any camera return. Unlike Sams Club where I bought and returned without any problems.
zip37602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 1:39 PM   #3

Unlimited time?.. That would sooo get abused.

Most places around here are 30 days for digital cameras.. Some past that will do an exchange if you're upgrading (within 90 days or so).. or only instore credit. I would NEVER buy from someplace that would charge a restocking fee. The only time that makes sense is if it's an item like a pc. of furniture that you've assembled.

vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 7:27 PM   #4

I think a re-stocking fee helps prevent people that "rent" items for their vacation and family events. I know I have heard about the horror stories from friends who have worked in retail. I think 30 days is a fair return policy, maybe 14 for some items. I am usually careful about what I buy tho, and try to do as much research as possible before I plop down my money.
polar905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 7:44 PM   #5

Well I work at costco and in the electronic department, so I see this everyday where people bring back something that is years and years old. Sadly we do take back just about anything if you bring it back with all the parts and the receipt.

If you are gonna buy something at costco, please save the reciept and dont throw away anything like the cables, cd/drivers, and other small stuff like that.

I want to do one correcting from the OP. If you buy with your american express card YOU WILL NOT get cash refund. They will credit it back to your card because you get %2 cash back on it. To prevent people from pocketing $100 on a $5,000 TV we wont give you cash back, we credit the card and you lose the %2 rebate for that purchase. You need to pay with cash or check.

oh FYI, if you abuse the return policy by bring back too many stuff, we CAN put a lock on the account. This isnt really a problem with digital camera but this is a BIG problem with printer, computer, and big screen TV. They fill that after the ink dry on the printer they can just bring it back for another one....

Costco IS a great place to buy digital camera, but the only draw back is the price isnt the best. But hey we have the best return policy in the retial bussiness, that is why we sell the most electronics retail wide.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 9:33 PM   #6

Yeah Costco has some ok prices on Digicams by me. They do have a good return policy but I would think Best Buy or Circuit City would outsell you in electronics?

Maybe even Wallymart since they are getting more into it.
polar905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 9:40 PM   #7

Won't pretty much any retailer price match?.. You'd think Costco would moreso since they cater to 'members'. no?
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 9:51 PM   #8

Hehe I exaggerated a little bit on the part of selling the most electronic. :blah:

I know BB, CC and other electronic/computer store only store sells more electronics then we do, but if you compair any all in one store like target, kmart, sams club, and even wal-mart, we sell more electronics then them.

Costco will no price match nor will any retailer price match with us. The reason that they wont price match is because you pay to shop at costco, that is why the price is cheaper. Its somewhat similar to having a B&M retailer price match an online retailer, they wont. Also costco dont advertaise price unless if its on a coupon and we wont print out an invoice for you.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 9:58 AM   #9

vwmom wrote:
Quote:
Won't pretty much any retailer price match?..
Price matching is no longer a given. Margins have been pushed thinner and thinner due to competition and there is very little wiggle room between cost and retail in many categories. Retailers are no longer willing to "just get the sale" especially if it means selling an item at/below/very close to cost.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote