Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:08 AM   #11

Raymondk

Thanks for the info....only thing is I have not bought the FZ30yet !!

It's on my wish list and it may be a while to save up enough cash.

I have done a bit of research on the Camera, but not too detailed as yet, but it does look like the Camera for me.

May I ask where you bought it ? as I have seen this camera on a Auction site and it is quite a bit cheaper if bought this way,

Many thanks,

Baskerville.
Baskerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:30 AM   #12

Hi there Baskerville,

I'm here in the UK and cannot see where you are as you've not put your "location".

Assuming that you're "here" too, I would recommend:

http://www.ukdigitalcameras.co.uk/__...67CB6C914.html

I have been told that they're cheaper companies around (have been told that "Empire direct sell it cheaper but are currently "out of stock" !!!) but, seriously, I have yet to deal with a more efficient company - having ordered it on one day and then having it delivered the next! Also, they've answered all my e-mails within 2 hours too!

So much for the sales talk - but it's true too!!

Finally, not that I've taken 1,000's of pictures as yet with the camera but, as I don't earn my living from it either, I can say that I'm delighted with it so far.

Best regards,

Raymond
RaymondK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 1:09 PM   #13

Just changing the subject, there is another forum "devoted" to the Panasonic FZ30 that may be of interest to readers of this forum. It can be found at:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

Also, if you find it interesting, there is a "watch topic" button right at the bottom which, when selected,will then let you access this forum easily - by selecting "My Account" when you initially connect to the forum.

Just thought that this info could be of interest to you.

Regards,

Raymond
Old Feb 28, 2006, 1:55 PM   #14

Raymondk

thanks for the help, I'm in Blackburn Lancashire,

I Will need to do a little more Homework on the camera but I have heard good things and the lens and zoom capabilities are a real winner for someone like me who likes wildlife Bird photography, plus the 60 second 'B' setting which is good for Astronomy and moon shots etc,

Should easily get close up shots of the moons surface, even Planets should be possible.

That price seems good as well,

Cheers, Raymond and thanks for the links

Baskerville

Old Mar 2, 2006, 3:28 AM   #15

Baskerville,

Happy that the information was of use to you.

There's a very interesting link on one of the other forums which compares the FZ30 to an ESO 20 (DSLR) which, if you've not seen, you could find very interesting as there appears to be tons of opinions as to which is better. It's:

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...mera_shootout/

Still, in my case, even though the FZ30 "suffers from noise" (which, maybe due to my age, glasses, needs, taste, whatever.... I've not found excessive) this is still the camera for me.

Still, one man's meat is another one's gravy as they say! Also, Steve (himself?) has a very full review of this camera which you'll find at:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/fz30.html

Anyway, whatever you finally buy, just enjoy it - beauty's in the eye of the beholder anyway (so I always tell my girlfriend! :-)).

Happy snapping,

Raymond
Old Mar 2, 2006, 4:27 AM   #16

Hi Raymond and Baskerville - Good to see such enthusiasum - can also take a look at this site - many FZ30 users and good ideas. This lot use a Red Dot Sight (RDS) for capturing quick moving birds and other things - very impressive captures.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1033

Type in the "Find" box "rds" (without the " ")

Cheers Dom

roxydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 4:04 PM   #17

Raymondk and Roxydog,

Thanks for your help, I have read the very interesting comparison between the Lumix and the Canon....what a good report.

I can only liken it to what you want to do with the camera, I can see the pitfalls of the Lumix say in the aircraft shots, but thats not my bag, you do get what you pay for, if you do your homework properly, and the old saying of 'buy cheap buy twice' comes to mind, but in the summing up of the two cameras a gourmet meal or a home cooked winner, each to there own (I'm a good cook !)

As in anything if you have the money and can afford it fair enough, go for the best if that is what you want , but just how serious are you ? what do you want it to do ?

I have singled out the Lumix simply based on a great zoom lens a good all rounder and I think the leader in it's field and usually that is enough for me, plus I wanted a decent Bulb setting for the occasional night or moon shot (I like Astronomy) it seems to offer me all I want and I'm still very taken by it, as a stand alone camera with no need for a bag full of xtras it is still my goal to get one,

Thanks very much,

Baskerville.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 1:51 AM   #18

Baskerville,

I really couldn't agree with you more.

Being an "amateur" photographer, even if I had the many 1,000's of £££'s that a "complete" DSLR would cost, in my case, I don't feel that I would (or could) do that justice and it would just be an "unjustified" expense.

Whilst, of course, there will be many cases that a DSLR will "win" in a comparison test, does one ever really explain the time and effort (lighting and lense selection to start with, for example) taken to take the shot?

In my case (as it appears to be yours too and I'm sure, many others here too), I prefer the comfort and "completeness" of the FZ30 (together with it's price) but, as I previously stated, I am an "amateur" photographer and also have to admit that, although so many people "complain" about the "noise" with the FZ30, maybe because of age or eyesight (yes, I do wear glasses and am over 21 too! :sad, although I can see differences (at times), I don't see that as such a "problem" with the camera.

Maybe that's something that one notices when one becomes an "expert"?? I don't know!!

Anyway, this is just me speaking aloud!

Best regards,

Raymond
Old Mar 6, 2006, 4:32 AM   #19

Hi again Raymondk,

I agree with you, I'm also a amateur, sometimes I pull out a good shot, but generally I'm well pleased with what my current camera does for me (Fuji Finepix 2800 Zoom) I've had it for about 4 years now and it has been very good.

Now it's move 'up' time and the Lumix takes my eye, it seems to offer all I want and a bit more besides so I'm going for it.

As regards the noise issue, if I had not read that this camera 'suffers' from this problem I seriously doubt that I could detect it in photo's of 10''x8'' and that is my printing limit, no bigger than that, and I'm not too sure that the word 'suffers' is a good choice anyway, what is good to my eye is not the same as someone else's eye.

I looked at a shot from the Lumix the other day of a sports stadium taken about 5 miles away and it was a awesome photo, I'm Baskerville not David Baily, I can only devote a fraction of my weekly routine to Photography.....so who am I to start picking someones honest endevour to pieces !!

Thanks again,

Baskerville.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 5:23 PM   #20

Hi there Baskerville,

As I stated before, I'm (like you?) just an amateur with this wonderful world of photography.

I have posted very simple pictures taken with my camera at:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=2

and

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

No, they're nothing that special but maybe will give you an idea of the zoom capabilites and quality of the pictures. About the noise, as I've stated before, I'm sorry (to all others) but I can't see it - it's either that or it doesn't bother me as my (very occasional) maximum print size is, like yourself, a 10 X 8.

In case you didn't see a previous post of mine (can't remember in which forum it was), I bought the camera from:

http://www.ukdigitalcameras.co.uk/__...BB32D6B68.html

I've been told that "Empire Direct" have it cheaper but are currently out of stock - also, they only offer a 1 year guarantee (against a 2 year one) and charge more for postage. In addition, I ordered mine (a black, not silver) around 4pm and received it the very next day at around 10am. In addition, I found their staff (Andrew and Maurice) very helpful on the phone too. Finally, I promise that I don't work for them nor am on commision either!! :-)

Let me know how you get on and, when you have time, I feel that all of us here on the forum would like to see your pictures too!!

Best regards,

Raymond