Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 15, 2003, 8:05 PM   #1

Default Spec of dust on the lense. What should I do?

There is a spec of dust on the lense and am not sure how to get it off without damaging it. What should I use to get it off without damaging it. Please help. I don't know what to do. I just bought the camera and am wondering if I should bring it back for another one because of the speck on the lense.

Thanks,

Shiggy
shiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2003, 9:01 PM   #2

On the outside of the lens, use an air brush or lens cloth. If it's on the inside (and you didn't say) that's more difficult.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2003, 9:05 PM   #3

Which one would be better and less likely to damage the lense. I just got the camera and would hate to mess it up already.
Which one would you use to clean the lense?

http://www.wolfcamera.com/webapp/wcs...roductId=30525

http://www.wolfcamera.com/webapp/wcs...roductId=29761

or

http://www.wolfcamera.com/webapp/wcs...roductId=29739

I am really in the dark here so I appreciate any insite you have on the matter. If you have any other ones you would recommend please list them also.
Thanks,

Shiggy
shiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2003, 9:21 PM   #4

The air brush is kind to the lens and coating. Cloths come in 2 sorts. There's the harder use once disposeable lens tissue and the use a few times soft cloth, sometimes impregnated with a cleaning fluid.

I've got some tissue, and feel it's a bit hard, but then each one is new and unlikely to retain grit. The cloth is softer and feels right, but could trap grit after frequent use.

It's easy to get hyper about this, but it is rare for a small spec of dust on a lens, to affect the quality of your pics.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2003, 9:28 PM   #5

you are kidding aren't you.

a camel hair brush will do the job. a lens isn't that delicate that you should fear cleaning it properly. invest in the brush and a good quality micofibre cloth.

everyone has their own special products they all love. you'll find yours. mine are the microdear cloth and a 1 inch kinetronics antistatic brush

do not use a liquid lens cleaner. there is a chance that it will leave residue that will collect more dust and other assorted stuff on the lens.

face one fact it will get dirty and dusty. and then there will be that fingerprint or two in the future. :shock:

now if it's inside the lens thats another story. that is an instant return to the store.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote