Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 29, 2006, 11:16 AM   #11

meryl

Thanks very much, very nice shots. I am more of a diesel engine photographer however I did go into the centre of my home town of Bradford, UK to record the resized but unmanipulated attached shot.

Regards

aw56001
Attached Images

aw56001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 3:58 PM   #12

I took this with a canon A510. F2.6 shutter 15 seconds i think 50 or 100 ISO i forgot wich. There are 2 low watt parking lights and they give a weird but neat glow.

BowerR64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 5:42 PM   #13

Very impressive!! I take it that for very low or minimal light a long shutter speed is essential and would be the optimum choice rather than the aperture? One further question is if there is a Tungsten Light setting onmy camera and I forget to switch the camera to this on a night shot, will the shot be messed up?

Thanks

aw56001
aw56001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 2:29 PM   #14

I got a 1lb bag of lentils and it works great. I cut it open and threw out about 1/4 of the bag then taped it back up and put it into a sock. Works great. Im gona use it tonight for a quick shot from my car off the highway. Ive been wanting to get a good steady shot of this place for a while but its an awkward spot.

I just rolled down my window and sit the bag on the top of the door ledge and took theselast night.The BG color wasnt good but i kinda like how they turned out.

Old Feb 11, 2006, 1:17 PM   #15

Without having read all the previous posts here, I'll offer my two cents. Forgive me if I'm repeating what others have said here.

While it is true that a higher ISO results in noisier shots, so does a longer exposure. Though this is not strictly analogous to reciprocity failure in film use, it is definitely reciprocal - a change in one value will be reflected in the response of the other.

You can shoot a long exposure (high noise factor) at low ISO (low noise factor)
or
You can shoot a short exposure (low noise factor) at high ISO (high noise factor)
or
Something in between.

Depending on your particular camera, this trade-off will favour one approach more than the other.

One other variable to enter into the equation is your choice of aperture. If your main concern is reducing the noise in your shot, use the widest aperture your lens will allow. (lowest number) This will allow you to choose your lowest combination of ISO/shutter speed. This is the third value inthe reciprocal relationship of exposurefor digital photographers. (For film uses, only the shutter/aperture relationship is generally applicable - ISO is determined by your choice of film) If you find that this adversely affects your depth of field, you will have to select a higher f-stop. (smaller aperture) A smaller aperture lets in less light, so a correct exposure will require a higher ISO or slower shutter, both of which will result in more noise.

I hope this helps. Once again, forgive me if I am repeating anything that may have already been contributed to this thread.

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com

Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 4:39 PM   #16

My camera sucks with high ISO though, ive tried both ways and anything over 200 is not worth shooting. It has 50, 100, 200 and 400 but i usualy only use 50 and 100. Mine is just a P&S older Canon A series so i have to deal with its features.

Im sure with a good SLR a higher ISO would be ok but ide rather have a bunch of cheap P&S cameras then have one good SLR. :?