Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 27, 2006, 7:18 AM   #1

Please would someone explain the settings that should be used for taking night photos using a tripod.

I have just bought a Casio EX-Z120 7.2MP Digital Camera and whilst I am pleased with the day shots (I just use snapshot mode) the night shots are dreadful.

I used Best Shot mode and selected Night Scene from the menu but it was a mess.

If I select Manual mode should aperture value be low or high and should shutter speed be slow or fast (I'm guessing slow because that should let more light in).

What ISO is preferable for night shots as I've read that if it is set too high then graininess is apparent.

Many Thanks

aw56001
aw56001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2006, 9:29 AM   #2

Dont know what you mean by dreadful, but here is a start:
-Iso100 (or 50)
-Use a tripod
-Try shutter priority mode, 2-8 seconds

If your pictures are blurry still, use the self timer so that the camera dosent move around at all.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 9:31 AM   #3

Need more information here. Night shots of what? Taking a picture of a person in middle of 400 yard field with no external lights is different than taking a picture of the lights in New York's Times Square which is different than trying to take a picture of the moon. So please provide some more details of the shooting situation - what is the subject, what lighting is around, is there movement, etc...
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 10:44 AM   #4

Thanks JohnG and tmoreau for your replies.

I am an amateur railway photographer and the night shots are basically just taking photos of stationary railway engines under normal railway station/depot lights (some flourescent, some tungsten). I didn't have much success with my old 4MP camera at night either so I guess I am doing something fundamentally wrong.

The shutter speed settings on the Casio are from 60 seconds to 1/6000 seconds therefore I guess it would be better to use 60 seconds but what aperture (large/small) would I use if I chose manual settings and would anything else need to be manually configured?

Any other advice would be most welcome. I do use a tripod and using the self-timer is a good point, thank you.

aw56001
Old Jan 27, 2006, 11:00 AM   #5

OK,

Try the following using the tripod and timer:
  1. Select Aperture priority mode (Av) on the camera[/*]
  2. Select an aperture of f8 (allowing the camera to select the shutter speed)[/*]
  3. Take the picture, noting what shutter speed the camera selected[/*]
  4. Switch camera to manual mode and adjust shutter speed higher/lower than what the camera selected in 3 to depending on how well the shot in 3 was exposed. If shot was too dark, use a longer shutter speed - if shot was too light, use a shorter shutter speed. Then take the picture
[/*]
After a few iterations you'll get a feel for how fast a shutter speed you need. Leave the camera in auto-iso or select a low ISO - 100 maybe. When doing a timed exposure like this there is no need to use a high ISO and incur all the noise associated with it for your camera.

If there are lights there, you probably won't need anywhere close to the full 60 seconds.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 11:26 AM   #6

JohnG

Thanks for your reply. The aperture settings on the Casio are F4 and F2.8 only. I guess I should experiment at F4 and see what ensues. You can also set the shutter speed and the camera automatically selects the correct aperture but as I was clueless I didn't use this. The lowest ISOis 50. Would you shoot at this or move it up to ISO 11?

Thanks

aw56001
Old Jan 27, 2006, 11:47 AM   #7

use the lowest ISO speed possible to get the correct exposure. For example, if you use ISO 50 and the shutter speed is 60 and your picture is still too dark, then you need to up the ISO to ge the correct light. But, that should not be a problem with some light sources around so stay with 50. Your apeture of 4.0 should be fine.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 5:16 PM   #8

These were done at Aperture Priority, ISO 100, f5.6, 8 sec

Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 9:01 AM   #9

Meryl

These pictures are superb and are generally what I'm aiming for. I have taken all the advice on board and will use this when I next have an opportunity to have a night shot. Thanks everyone for your valuable assistance on this very friendly forum.

aw56001 (UK)
Old Jan 29, 2006, 11:41 AM   #10

Thank you. I do some railway photography but no night shots, I'm afraid. Maybe you would be interested in these:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=418480
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote