Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 28, 2006, 5:18 AM   #1

Is this part the "Fuse" the part break down page says? i dont see anything else that could be a fuse but it doesnt look like a fuse. The camera was working then i took it back apart because i forgot a flash shield when i put it back together it smoked. I didnt even get to turn the power on.

On the top there is another part that looks the same that is near the DC input jack, maybe the bottom is the battery fuse, and the one on the top is the DC input fuse?

BowerR64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2006, 8:19 AM   #2

I don't know, but if you assume the schematic is correct, then the orientation of the item your arrow points to is not the same as the schematic (it does look damaged, however). The only part that is oriented and located the same as the schematic is the one with the large '22' on it, however, the apparent size isn't the same as the schematic. Maybe the tiny device between the '22' and the 'JF'?

I would say that if you ordered a fuse from Canon, you'd know for sure.

Good luck.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 10:05 AM   #3
E.T

Without having some marking in SMT component it's practically impossible to say what it is, those are so similar looking.

Other way for knowing it would be complete schematics of that PCB.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 1:05 PM   #4

The wires marked + and - are from the batteries, the white 2 pin plug is to the flash circuit the long plug goes to the main PCB and the other little plug is to the LCD. The blown part does look like its tied into the DC input jack so it could be a diode or a fuse?

Old Jan 28, 2006, 1:46 PM   #5
E.T

IMO those components marked as KA could be diodes, they have marking which could indicate polarity.

Do you have multimeter?
You could check is that undamaged similar looking component connected directly to DC-in and what's its resistance...

At least they haven't skimped in use of tin with that DC-in...
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 3:08 PM   #6

The one thats giid reads 0, and the one thats burnt reads 108ohms. I agree the big one looks like a diode because of the markings, it cheks 430ohms one way, nothing the other and when i go back it beeps momentairly liek a diode.

If you look closely, you will see little round foil dots. I think these are meter test points. If you notice there are 2 points to test this componet.

Old Jan 28, 2006, 8:47 PM   #7

Well i just decided to bite the bullet and rig it with a strip of solder. I took the part out from the other side and put it on the side where it blew, then used the solder on the top side.

Here is a picture that i took with the camera.

It still has a timming issue with the lense, it wont retract back in all the way flush but its working and its taking pictures thats further then before. This camera is beat to hell, it has no lense cover all the mechanical parts to cover the lense fell out, the case is busted all up and its at # 6036 for picture number. Thats amazing its taken 6K pictures already. Thats the most ive seen so far.