Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 16, 2003, 10:18 PM   #1

Default Best 6X+ optical zoom camera

I'm looking for advice on the best 3MP+ camera with at least a 6x+ optical zoom. I'm looking at the Fuji 3800, Olympus 720 or the HP 850. Does anyone have any other suggestions. I'm mainly looking for a camera to take good closeups of children without having to be close. My budget is under $550. Thanks in advance.
abrewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2003, 1:19 PM   #2

Look at the Oly 730 instead of the 720.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2003, 2:32 PM   #3

The 3800 might be 3.2 Mpix, but it's only 100ASA - that would let it down for me. If you want to do indoor stuff, even with flash, and you can't get close you need sensitivity, not so much Mpix.

For indoor candid shots my 602 has got some really good shots in the 1Mpix 800ASA mode - as long as 6X4 print is your limit, sensitivity rules over Mpix for available room light pics. Even in daytime, it's surprising how dark to a camera, shooting indoors can be.

Don't forget, for candid zoom shots, hand held, you need to up the shutter speed, which means less light hence more sensitivity needed (but low noise prefered). Also check your cam choice is good at auto focussing in lower light - if it's not, make sure it has manual focussing. Of course if you are mostly outdoors in brilliant sunshine, you should be OK, even with a 3800.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2003, 12:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve6
Look at the Oly 730 instead of the 720.
Steve:
I checked out your web shots and was impressed with the quality and quantity. Boy, you keep busy, don't you.

I noticed some "wavy" lines in the sky in the Snowdonia set. Is that caused by the Oly, the website or my monitor?

Dano
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2003, 12:58 PM   #5

Some (most) were taken using a Fuji 2600. Remember these pics are highly (over) compressed for a quick upload. The last three were taken with the 730. This degree of compression does spoil the quality.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote