Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 16, 2003, 10:25 PM   #1

Default Difference inLenses help

Is there a big difference visually between a photo taken with a 33mm lens and a 41mm lens? Where can I see examples of the same image taken under the same conditions but with different lenses to get an idea of how much wider/narrower the view is? thanks for your help!
R. Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2003, 6:11 AM   #2

Are you talking about the actual focal length or the "35mm equivalent" focal length?...it makes a difference...

In different cameras with different size image sensors, they could be the same or the 33mm could actually have a longer 35mm equivalent and be a "longer" lens than the 41 mm.

http://www.shortcourses.com/choosing/lenses/10.htm

http://www.shortcourses.com/using/lenses/chapter5.htm

Hope that helps.
rych26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2003, 7:33 AM   #3

Default lens help

i mean the 35mm equivalent. ill check out those sites, thanks.
R. Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2003, 7:34 AM   #4

if you stay within the 35mm frame idea for the moment the 33 would show a wider view by about 7%. its a matter of which is more important to you long or wide

if you shoot indoors wider is better. getting that group shot in the living room is always a challenge. it's really bad form to cut uncle fred in half in the final image or having the entire family look like sardines in a can because you can't back up enough to get everyone in.

outdoors- it can go either way. a wider angle can give a shot a different feel if shot correctly. it seems that a lot of people gravitate towards longer is better. but then they ask later why their shots come out fuzzy. longer amplifies shake thus the fuzzy wuzzys. if you like long i suggest some support in the 3 legged partner no one likes to carry around

to see the difference go to a shot and ask to see a 28-70mm lens on a 35mm body. the zooms are marked usually 28-35-50-70 and are actually manual twist adjusted unlike 99% of digicams set the zoom to 35 and then back off a a hair towards 28 then move it between 35 and 50 and you'll see the difference. in close areas it will be more pronounced. out in a field youl hardly notice. its perception in relationship to the area your in and shooting.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2003, 7:41 AM   #5
NHL

A lot of people gravitate towards longer is better... but then wider capture more of a picture not less! :lol: :lol: :lol: Manufacturers on the other hand like to sell the X factor, the more the better... and make it sound even more by using 'digital' mode.

... I like the sardines analogy !!!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2003, 7:51 AM   #6

yeah mines bigger the yours and don't you forget it. :lol:

i'l take mine wider and cropable please 8)

but again it's all a matter of personal need
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2003, 6:54 PM   #7

People tend to concentrate more on how much zoom, and even when I bought my camera I concentrated on the telephoto number rather than the wide angle, in my case 380mm and 38mm...but my camera can have converters added and I've seen pictures of someone who put a 5x teleconverter on it (to make it 1900mm), and pictures of wide-angle converters on it (.55x for example to make my camera 21mm), so if I need more I can add it later.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote