Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 19, 2003, 12:10 AM   #1

Default DPOTD "One Country Only" Comment

Steve,

I think it sucks that only folks from the U.S. can enter
your "photo of the day contest" now.

Seems that your explanation about "Duty, shipping and
customs hassles" is pretty limp on the web site and is
a cop-out after all this time. Really disappointing.

So all the photo's we see there are ONLY from the US now?
printer27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2003, 12:55 AM   #2
Administrator

We have gone back to taking entries from everywhere and will just deal with some of the other countries and their rediculous import tariffs and duty fees.

FYI - It cost us about $45 to send a $20 prize to a former Soviet Union country a while back and we heard from the prize receiver that their country had charged them another $35USD equivalent in some kind of duty tax.

-Steve

P.S. Please don't start an endless thread of pro and con messages here, it won't benefit anyone. Thanks.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2003, 2:19 AM   #3

That's not my intention here with this reply...I understand perfectly your situation Steve.

I participate in a UK chat which has a monthly draw, and in that case only a few of the prizes are physical items while the majority is software which is downloadable from the net and unlocked via a code...they of course stipulate that the you have to live in the UK in order to pick one of the physical prizes, while anyone can pick the software prizes. On their prize page they have the following, "Please note that you must be based in the United Kingdom to claim prizes labelled with *."

I offer this reply as a possible suggestion...there's lots of great photographic shareware programs out there...maybe that's a possiblility for prizes to be offered for those off-shore...no shipping costs, and no customs costs.

Just offering a suggestion to someone who's hard work has helped me.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2003, 11:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
We have gone back to taking entries from everywhere and will just deal with some of the other countries and their rediculous import tariffs and duty fees.

FYI - It cost us about $45 to send a $20 prize to a former Soviet Union country a while back and we heard from the prize receiver that their country had charged them another $35USD equivalent in some kind of duty tax.

-Steve

P.S. Please don't start an endless thread of pro and con messages here, it won't benefit anyone. Thanks.
====

That was a really classy thing to do, Steve.
(allowing all to enter the contest again)
I sympathize with all the shipping/customs b-sht.

If I could suggest something...

If the prize is worth paying the duties, taxes, tariffs etc. by the 'winner', than I can't see a problem, particularly if they won a major prize.

All you have to do is post in the rules and reg's: "Contest winners *outside the continental U.S.* are responsible for shipping, duties and tariffs in order to receive the prize". :lol:

If they complain or object, send it to to the next grateful winner.
Me!
printer27 is offline   Reply With Quote