Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 2, 2006, 3:33 PM   #1

I am in Montreal Canada, but it seems that where ever I look to buy the Olympus FL-36 flash, everyone is out of stock. Does anyone know where this flash can be found IN STOCK?
Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2006, 6:18 PM   #2
Administrator

Yep... I thought B&H carried them but they're out, too. Ditto for the used departments at B&H, KEH and Adorama (the 3 vendors I'd look for used gear at).

You could try your luck on Ebay. You may run into a good deal on a used one.

Or, go with the FL-40 instead.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 9:51 PM   #3

I believe the FL-40 is out of production; at least, it was designed for a different camera series and doesn't fully work with the E300/E500 series. The next one up is the FL-50, a much better flash anyway.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 10:20 PM   #4
Administrator

My bad for bringing it up.

I need to stay on top of the current flash systems for Oly models.

I just noticed a few of these at vendors when looking around to see if anyone had the FL-36 in stock. I've see some E-1 owners reporting limited success with it (i.e., Auto and Manual work fine and some even reported TTL working OK for most pics), even though it's not officially supported on the E-1.. But, Olympus left it behind with the newer cameras.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 5:35 PM   #5

I just ordered and recieved a new FL-36 ($179.95) from Prestige Photo in Boca Raton, FL. They are at http//www.bocaphoto.com. Call first - the eyecup I ordered were not in stock. I asked about the FL-36 (I have been looking for one for about six weeks) and they had them in stock because they did not have to reorder, they said. BTW, after using the FL-36 for only a week, I'm impressed with it capabilities and power. All this in a very small package.
84B2T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 5:07 PM   #6

I, too, have been looking for an FL-36 Flash for close to a month and a half. I had a FL-40 for my C-5050 Olympus and was disappointed (after spending several hundred dollars for it) that it was not compatable with the E-500 I just bought.

The FL-50 is simply too expensive, although probably a somewhat better flash. Never the less, the FL-50 is out of stock everywhere, too. I have had a backorder with Amazon for $180 and was just emailed that the order wont be filled until late March to early April. Apparently Olympus is a little lax about getting out these products to retailers.

In the meantime, I called Precision Photo in Boca Raton and they, now, are out of stock. If anyone hears of another retailer that has them, please post . . I sure would like to get my hands on that flash, as I'm sure a number of other Olympus users would.
JPOSBORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 7:54 AM   #7

Well I was fortunate enough to find a brand new FL-40 on EBAY. I purchased the flash and just recently received it. I have done a lot of playing around with it and am very impressed with the results. A number of people told to to find an FL-40 rather than the C-36 for my C-8080 and I am happy that I went that route. The FL-40 has more range and every function works with the C-8080. The AF assist lamp gives plenty more range for focusing in dark light situations and really speeds up the low light focus time.

Up to now I was using my old Sunpak autozoom 3000 with a Wein adaptor, but the great results with the FL-40 put the Sunpak to shame.

Next purchase is a Lumiquest pocket bounce.

For those of you that are also looking for the FL-36 to use on a C-8080 I would say take a serious shot at trying to find the FL-40, you will not be disappointed.
Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 11:15 AM   #8

Yes, the FL-40 is a FINE flash and I have enjoyed using it with my 5050. The problem is that we are talking about a flash that will work with the E-300 or E-500 (Evolt) digital SLRs. The FL-40 will NOT work with those cameras. Owners are, therefore, stuck with choosing between the FL-36 and the FL-50 external flash units.

What irks me, after years of Olympus loyalty, is that they marketed the E-500 and E-300, yet failed to maintain stock of important accessories. I had to go through an entire basketball season using the internal flash on my E-500 with marginal results.
JPOSBORN is offline   Reply With Quote