Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 19, 2003, 7:35 AM   #1

Default More Zoom - only 3x

See http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1047935077.html - a brief story at Imaging Resources. If nothing else, that illustrates the point that not all 3x zooms are the same - its range is 450-1350mm (equiv).

I want one that goes from 8-24mm (equiv).
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2003, 7:52 AM   #2

Default Re: More Zoom - only 3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDrew
Me too. I wouldn't swap the 380mm of my C-730 for anything but sometimes I just feel the need for a second camera with a really wide angle. I know add-on lenses are available to some extend, but it's just not the same is it?
Eddie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2003, 8:04 AM   #3

Love to see some sample pics and price info.
d77avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2003, 10:27 AM   #4

Hi Bill,
That's a good start, and if the price were not too prohibitive, it might be useful depending on the quality of the three megapixel CCD built in. It doesn't look like there is any great penalty in weight for the scope. I just wished they could have done it with a larger optic like an 80mm or so. The f-stop range is really good so for someone using the spotting scope for observing wildlife, etc., it might make a handy tool, especiall since it's TTL along with the LCD display, making it easier to focus and see fine detail than by using an LCD as on the Nikon's attatched to a spotting scope.

On the other hand for true digiscoping utility, the greatest focal length (around 1300mm) is more of a "starting point." I find I do most of my digiscoping between about 2300 and 6000mm, so if they built that kind of range into an 80mm rig which worked well, I think there would be many who might jump on it...

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2003, 2:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Me too!
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2003, 9:10 PM   #6

Default Re: More Zoom - only 3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie J
I wouldn't swap the 380mm of my C-730 for anything but sometimes I just feel the need for a second camera with a really wide angle. I know add-on lenses are available to some extend, but it's just not the same is it?
Here's a site comparing wide angle lenses on the C-2100UZ (which normally has 38mm-380mm). Should be similar results on the C-730UZ:

http://members.aol.com/pixbydg/waweb/wa.html

And if you want the opposite, here's a 5x teleconverter on a C-2100UZ to give you a max of 1900mm:

http://jimsphotopage.com/UZI/index.html
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote