Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 19, 2003, 12:05 PM   #1

Default too many choices

I am in the market for a new digital camera nad need some advise. I am looking for a high quality small camera, pocketable. There are obviously tons of choices out there.

Here is my situation. I work in a hospital and will primarily be using the camera for work. My department will actually pay foir the camera, but it must be bought before the end of June. The budget is not set, but is probably up to about $800. However, I will also be able to use this for my own shots, so I will have other locals than the hospital.

I am looking for a small camera, with high resolution, ease of use, and reliability. Small size is imperative. Manual controls a big bonus, but not necessary. Video is a small bonus.

My list at this point is not small, but here it is, with my take on things..

Canon s45/s50-- great camera, maybe a bit too big?
s400- when available

Fuji F700, when available, I like the idea of the improved dynamic range. The lighting is terrible for pics in a hosptial (easily washed out).

Minolta F200 ??

Olympus C-50- seems great by specs, but i have seen some comments that worry me , and I saw one review that said shot to shot of 5 seconds.

Olympus stylus 300/400

Sony DSC P9- good size, ? quality
DSC-V1- great except maybe a bit too big.

I would apreciate any opinions.

Thanks in advance.

gordon
rglewisjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2003, 12:32 PM   #2

I suspect that you will want to shoot close-ups of things like skin/wounds/... in fairly poor lighting conditions. For that, you really should have a camera that can use an external flash unit, in particular, one that has a ring flash available.

External flash is (in general) a contradiction to small size so you have to decide which of those features is more important.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2003, 2:11 PM   #3

you guessed the goal correctly, a ring flash wound be great, but, there is no way I am going to carry a SLR or equivalent with me at all times. Now... i supposed I could carry a ring and use it on the Sony V1 if it is available. I think the V1 has a flash seat.

However, I still think I would prefer to go small.

So what would be my best bet photographing skin and wounds?
rglewisjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2003, 3:51 PM   #4

The Olympus C5050 has a hot shoe for an external flash. It is not that big. The C5050 has the following features that meet your requirements:

F1.8 lens for good low light conditions.
Move mode with sound.
Moveable lcd panel which would give you more flexibility in shooting angles.
Photo assist lamp for low light conditions.
Uses compact flash, xd picture card, microdrive, and smart meida.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2003, 4:50 PM   #5

You are going to be very unhappy with the results from any camera without using some extra light. Close focus in low light is going to be another trick.

I think I saw a ring-light for the Nikon(?) that was a steady light (not flash) meant for macro work. I'd really strongly suggest looking for that feature, e.g., search for the lighting feature you need - not the camera. Once you have the area well lit, just about any camera will take the picture.

There also have been some threads here from dentists looking for cameras. Do a search and try to contact those folks to see how they did with their choice.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote