Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 5, 2006, 2:32 PM   #1

I finally clicked on the software link and realized there are a lot more programs then just Picasa. I would like any info on some sort of organization tool for my current pictures. I don't like how Picasa makes a new folder each time I download photos. A little advice would be much more efficient then trying 30 progs manually. Any tips would be much helpful. Thanks.
Gaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2006, 4:49 PM   #2

I'm unclear on what you're looking for.

By the title of this thread, I thought you were looking for software that produces a photo album (my favorite is jAlbum)

But after reading your comments it sounds like you're looking for software to organize your images. That is something completely different.

My favorite is iMatch. There is an almost completely functioning demo, so try it out. I'd also suggest you search around a bit on the web. There are some great web pages about how to catalog your images using iMatch. While it is easy to redo your images into different organization structures, it helps to understand the issues involved and its just easier to get it right (or closer to right) the first time.) You can find iMatch here:
http://www.photools.com/

A new version is in the works, based on the forums, so won't distress that it looks like nothing has happened for awhile. It is still growing and getting better (although I'm white happy with it.)

This is not designed to help you organize your images on disk. It is a database that you tell it where your images are and then you specify catagories for the images to be put in. For example, I do wildlife photography, so I have:
action
-> flying
-> walking
-> wading/swimming
-> ...
subject
-> animal
---> bird
---> other mamal
--> person
--> family
--> friend
--> building

you get the idea. You can have an infinite number of catagories in catagories.

Hope that helps.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 8:59 AM   #3

I guess I just want a photo album that makes it easier to download pictures. I recieved a Sony DSC-W1 a year ago, just before my daughter was born. Since then I have taken a lot of pictures. So I hook up my camera, Picasa goes into action, pictures are downloaded, and Picasa asks for a file name to store the pictures. I wish I could specify the file for the photos instead of having to make a new one each time. My list of files is getting out of hand. I would be easier for me to backup the pictures by setting my own file for a period of time. Right now to make that happen I would have to manually move my pictures around. I guess I could get a prog that helps organize, but isn't there something that has the album and organizing features all rolled up into one?
Old Feb 6, 2006, 10:50 AM   #4

Since your issues revolve around file organization, then iMatch isn't really what you want. It's much more about organizing content (what is in the image) and takes absolutely no stance on how the files are laid out on disk.

You might look at Downloader Pro. It is a very good program for downloading your images. I've never used it, but it looks very flexable and should be able to handle all your needs for getting the images off the camera and where you want them stored.

You can find it here:
http://www.breezesys.com/Downloader/index.htm

It is not an album package, though. But you might be able to stick with Picasa for that.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 11:10 AM   #5
Administrator

Gaffle wrote:
Quote:
I finally clicked on the software link and realized there are a lot more programs then just Picasa. I would like any info on some sort of organization tool for my current pictures. I don't like how Picasa makes a new folder each time I download photos. A little advice would be much more efficient then trying 30 progs manually. Any tips would be much helpful. Thanks.
I use it often for quickly browsing through images, especially since it lets you browse raw files from most cameras without converting them to another format first (at larger sizes than the thumbnails you'll have with most viewers that can do the same thing at comparable speeds).

I don't let it download the images for me (I keep the "scan for new media" turned off). But, if you want to use it for that purpose (downloading), it lets you select a default folder for saving images (My Pictures is the default on mine).

For copying images from media, I do it the simple way --- go under "My Computer", select your camera or reader, navigate to the folder containing the images and "Select All" from the file, edit menu.

Then, I go to the folder on my PC I want to store them in, creating a new folder in most cases, and use "Edit, Paste" to copy them to my PC. It's a good idea to name your folders by date, for example 20050205, as in yyyymmdd), so that's it's easier to use a variety of tools for quickly finding those images by date without adding keywords to the IPTC fields. I'll usually have subfolders named more specific to the subject of the images for edits. Picasa can be setup to automatically add images in a folder or it's subfolders when it sees them (I keep all image folders under folder called photos that Picasa looks for new folders or images in).

I use a variety of tools for browing images. But, each user will have their own system that they're comfortable with.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 11:59 AM   #6

It sounds like you like picasa except for the fact that it needs to creat a new folder each time you download pics. Yes it annoys me as well, but there is a super easy way to move them below. In defense of picasa, I think its one of the fastest and best browsers and simple editors around. It blows away the adobe picture organizer away in speed terms (i have a monster dual core athlon64 and 2gb ram computer and that thing is still slow)

The easiest thing to do if you arent familiar with the windows explere etc.. is to just select all the files in the new folder created in picasa (click on the fist pic in the new folder, hold down shift and click the last pic in the folder. They should all be highlighted blue.) Now just click on any on the pics, hold the mouse button down and drag them into the folder of your choice in teh picasa window. They will all move there, and the new folder will be removed when there are no more pics in them.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 12:51 PM   #7

I'm just curious as to why you would want to put all of your pictures in one folder? That seems like a very unorganized way to organize photos. If you ware just wanting to drag and drop all of the pictures into one folder you could wuse Windows XP digital camera interface, just cut and paste into which ever folder you want to.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 1:11 PM   #8

I dont think he wants just one folder, just not as many. Maybe he wants Dog pictures, family Pictures, etc.. Picasa needs a new folder name for each upload session. So even if you already have a folder named "Dog Pictures", and you specify that name again, Picasa will create "Dog Pictures (1)" for the next upload. Thats the only pet peeve I have with the software.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 2:22 PM   #9

Correct, I don't want to have SO many files for pictures. I used to just go into the MS myself. I did a better job by manually moving the pictures to my designated folders. The problem is I'm not the only one downloading photos. My wife just can't get used to manually moving the photos. I need something simple that she can use when I'm not around. I just got lazy with her working the computer more often, and now I have something like 11 folders with stupid names throughout the year. Pain for me to remember what I backed up last. I used to backup quarterly and I would name the file appropriately afterwards. Thanks for the help.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 1:01 AM   #10

I use ACDSee 8 but I'm not sure it would help someone put the pics in the proper folders. My camera makes a new folder by date and puts all the pics there.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote