Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 8, 2006, 11:16 PM   #1

Hello there fellas. Well i'm new to dslr, i had a panasonic fz5 and now im switching to a Nikon D50 i want to learn as much as i can about photo with a dslr entry level camera. My question is, what do you think is this camera compared to the canon digital rebel (not xt) and the second one is. Can i take the pic in the d50 from the lcd or can i only do it from the viewfinder?

Thnx in Advance
drprotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2006, 11:57 PM   #2

As far as I know, no DSLR on the market can use the LCD to compose images. They all do it through the view finder. There are several reasons for this, if you care, but lets say that technology hasn't overcome the issues that would make this possible.

Why not read Steve's review of the D50? I'm sure it could answer all the questions you've got and more. Most people haven't used both the Canon and the Nikon line so you'll almost certainly get a biased point of view (i.e. they've used one of them and therefor say its great. And to point out my bias, I own 2 Canon DSLRs.) But Steve has used both those and more.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...nikon_d50.html

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 12:23 AM   #3

actually id like to know why can't u use the lcd :d if you can explain
Old Feb 9, 2006, 3:16 AM   #4

One of the main reasons you can't use it is because sensors on dSLRs are more sensitive than those on P&S cameras, and leaving them on permanently for the LCD would cause them to heat up excessively, resulting in noise. As a result, the sensor is left off until just before the instant of exposure. During focusing and composition, you look through the viewfinder and a system of mirrors/prisms directs the light from the subject, through the taking lens, and into your eye. At the instant you press the shutter, the mirror swings up, the shutter opens, and the sensor activates to capture the exposure.

Of course, all that is changing now. Olympus has just announced its E-330 with live LCD preview; it's able to do that by using two sensors, one for the LCD, and one for taking the image. It should be on the market later this month. See Steve's preview HERE

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 4:08 AM   #5

thnx for the info. Can someone tell me if d50 is a good beginner camera to dslr word ?
Old Feb 9, 2006, 4:57 AM   #6

drprotos wrote:
Quote:
thnx for the info. Can someone tell me if d50 is a good beginner camera to dslr world ?
Sure it is. So is the Canon 350, the Olympus E-500, and Pentax ist--there is no single "best" one--they're all good cameras and will take better photographs than most beginning photographers have the ability to coax out of them. So buy one and learn its features and try not to blame the camera for things that are probably the fault of the person behind the camera :G

Good luck!

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 9:39 AM   #7

I agree with Norm.
The D50 is a good camera. It will have more flexability and power than you'll need for a starter camera, but it will leave you room to grow for years. The camera shouldn't be a limiting factor in your learning and enjoyment... only the lenses will (and you can always buy a different one if you find you *need* it. Note how I say need instead of want. I can appreciate "wanting" a better/different lens, but it won't actually help your photography unless you actually need it.)

The only problem I can think of with the D50 (and basically all DSLRs) is that they are fairly large. If you want something small and convient, so you can carry it everywhere... well, then a DSLR isn't for you. It you want something to put in a pocket, something that is light in your hands... then it isn't for you. On the other hand, the quality of the images will almost certainly better with the DSLR (baring skill of the user, of course.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 10:30 PM   #8

Personally I own D50 and I like it very much. Both D50 and XT are capable and nice cameras. You can also consider KM 5D if you want the anti-shake. But D50 handles the Noise levels very well at high ISO's speedsbetter than any other camera in the market.

So it comes down to your personal choice. Before you buy it is good to try those cameras in some electronic store.
vsrinu30 is offline   Reply With Quote