Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 9, 2006, 11:36 AM   #1

I read someplace last night (can't remember where).. that redeye occurs more when the flash is located closer to the lense (ie: smaller cameras?).....

Looking back at my test shots of the 610 and the S2 compared.. generally speaking, there seems to be a lot more redeye with the 610.

Is this fact or fiction? Could be just good luck with my S2?

For someone not familar with these models.. The 610 is more of a compact.. the S2 has an actual 'popup' flash.

There's not a huge issue of it with the 610 (especially compared to some cameras I've seen), but just noticed it on more occasion in lower lighting conditions.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2006, 1:08 PM   #2

No, it is my understanding that it is fact. My experience bares this out.
Before I owned a flash bracket (moves the flash off the camera) I would get red-eye a lot on wild animals that I photographed. When I moved the flash about 5 inches up (above the camera and about 6 inches in front, actually) I almost never get red eye.

The problem comes from the reflecting of light from the eye back to the camera (I forget which part is reflecting it... maybe the cornia - the back of the eye?) If you offset the flash from the lens in any direction than the angle of the reflection changes and therefor doesn't come back to the camera. Instead it reflects off at an angle away from the camera.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 2:54 PM   #3

It is the lens-eye-flash angle (along with the amount of eye dilation, charactoristics of the subject's eye, the mix of flash and ambient light, phase of the moon, ...) that determines the amount of red eye. If you are at the same distance, increasing the lens-flash distance increases the angle so there is a better chance of avoiding red eye.

Are you shooting with a longer lens with your new camera? That would mean that you are likely further away from the subject thus decreasing the lens-eye-flash angle.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 3:25 PM   #4

Not sure if it's longer.. but the lense itself is definatly much larger in diameter.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 3:45 PM   #5

not sure what the problem is here.

You say that the closer the flash is to the lens, the more red eye you get.

The 610 has the flash closer to the lens.

You get more red eye on your 610

You proved the theory.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 3:52 PM   #6

I'm wondering if it has anything to to with other elements?
Old Feb 9, 2006, 4:42 PM   #7

vwmom wrote:
Quote:
I'm wondering if it has anything to to with other elements?
Yes:

1. Are they looking directly at the camera or off to the side?

2. Does the camera employ red-eye reduction. Most times it's not very good and again they have to be looking at the flash for their pupils to constrict but some do work. I had an olympus film point-and-shoot that had a GREAT reduction flash but the one on my old digital Canon s-40 didn't buy me much at all.

3. Distance. The farther away your subject is, the less the angle between flash and camera. For instance, I have a flash bracket which within say 15 feet I get NO red-eye. But, when I used it at the awards portion of a gym meet when I was about 40 feet away - I got red-eye. When people were closer the red-eye disappeared. Them moving closer increased the angle so the red-eye went away. An interesting question is, what is the 'magical angle' at which red-eye would disappear.

4. How dialated their pupils are. When you use a flash as fill outside you don't get red-eye because their pupils are constricted.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 4:46 PM   #8

It is stated it is a reflection from the back of the eye. If you photograph anaimals a lot, they have a tendency to be worse at it than humans, but it is usually yellow/green/orange eye instead with blue thrown in every so often. If you look close at a red eye shot you can see it is only in the pupil area, so that would tend to prove it is coming from inside the eye. It only goes to reason as with any reflective surface, the angle seems to be important mostly. Also it goes top reason that the larger the pupil, the more light in, and out (as reflected light), hence more red eye. Have you ever seem red eye outside on a sunny day? Even using say a fill flash? I can't say it won't happen, but I can't recall ever seeing that either. Sunny day, smaller pupil opening. Also the red eye reduction flash setting (that quick blinking flash) as I understand it is suppose to force the pupil to close down before the main flash fires. So with all that I would say, yes the theroy is true.
fofa is offline   Reply With Quote