Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 23, 2003, 5:56 PM   #11

My God!!! I looked up the top selling cameras and guess what MSN had listed as it's top selling camera? The Sony Mavica MVC-FD75!!! That camera may have been good, oh say five years ago, but common! Top selling camera? Either MNS is full of [email protected]#* or the general public is ignorant as hell! Why on earth would anybody want a .35mp camera that stores on a floppy? And sells for 349.99$ at Office Depot!!!???

What the hell?
Melboz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2003, 6:23 PM   #12
NHL

Quote:
Top selling camera? Either MNS is full of [email protected]#* or the general public is ignorant as hell! Why on earth would anybody want a .35mp camera that stores on a floppy? And sells for 349.99$ at Office Depot!!!???
That Sony number is for real! Have anyone check what their insurance agents are using?... or the appraisers, or various department drawers at different work places?

Some people are still very foreign to USB, readers... and still have window95 on their PC let alone PhotoShop. BTW floppy can be bought for free! :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2003, 12:07 AM   #13

I can totally relate to the mavica issue. My almost bankrupt journalism class that is funded mostly by the money we can get out of fundraisers decided to buy two new digicams. I suggested the a40 since it would be cheap due to the a60's release and the editor in chief (a friend of mine who bought a mavica w/ a 14x zoom about 5 yrs ago) said, well I know how you feel about Sony (i wont buy sony for several various reasons), but it would be good if the cameras wrote directly to floppy. I tried to explain to him that it is more expensive than a higher resolution camera with more features and that floppies are almost a worthless storage medium and in the end, only the sensibility of the journalism advisor is what is going to get us the a40s and not the mavicas. Also, the average consumer does no research and couldn't care less about what a usb port is. Many don't know what a mp is and though they know less is worse in most technical numbers, they see floppy disks and say, "hey, shiny, and easy to use." The sad truth is the shiniest easiest to use camera is going to appeal to the impulse buyers who make up the bulk of the market. Out of ten million digicam buyers last year, only about a thousand or two belong to this forum, let alone any other forum.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote