Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 23, 2003, 12:39 AM   #1

Default Is Olympus the most popular brand?

Hey all, just an observation. Olympus seems to have the most posts, followed by minolta and nikkon, and then fuji and canon. Is this the general popularity order? If it isn't, why does Olympus have so many posts? It has both more topics and replies than any other camera manufaturor, howcome?
Melboz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2003, 1:46 AM   #2

I'm just speculating, but it seems to me that the olympus cameras usually have tons of manual features and consistently make a great camera for a decent price (i.e. c4000 and c5050). Thus they are the perfect cameras for the ameratuer photographer, lotsa bang for your buck without breaking the bank. This explains why they are so popular: because the target audience of the olympus posts here since because the most prolific posters are usually amatuer photographers. If you go to cnet.com i think 4 of the top 5 most popular cameras are canons. In the end it boils down to personal preference. I am currently torn among the canon a70, minolta s414 and to a lesser extent the oly c4000 and the fujifilm f700 (if it has a threaded lense and i can find one at a decent price when it comes out). I personally find it hard to believe that one camera company is leaps and bounds ahead of the competition in terms of popularity and the others are competing for runner-up.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2003, 1:46 AM   #3
sri

That's my observation too. This site readers are biased for olympus and Nikon. I am surprised that forums search for 'G2' referring to Canon G2 gives 0 results but search for olympus gives 100's of replys. To my knowledge Canon G2 is lot popular than olympus 4000 and in usa most widely sold digital cameras are from canon.
sri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2003, 1:57 AM   #4

Or one could make the argument that the Olympus users are just more clueless and need more help... :lol:

Just kidding, am a happy owner of three Olympus digicams.
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2003, 4:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri
That's my observation too. This site readers are biased for olympus and Nikon. I am surprised that forums search for 'G2' referring to Canon G2 gives 0 results but search for olympus gives 100's of replys. To my knowledge Canon G2 is lot popular than olympus 4000 and in usa most widely sold digital cameras are from canon.
In your message comparison, you are comparing one Canon model to ALL of the Olys. I don't know where you get that the G2 is more popular than the 4000 besides personal opinion. I know when I went to my school reunion the camera I saw the most was D-series Olympus (I have a C-series, C-700). Saw the odd Canon, but I couldn't tell you which model, they all look alike to me!

Now I'm not biased towards Olympus, it just happened to be the camera with a 10x optical zoom so I bought it. Will I buy another one, I don't know...I'll look at the other brands out there to see what fits my needs when the time comes. For my next camera I want easier manual controls (like an SLR has rather than pushing buttons to adjust shutter speed, f-stop, etc.), and a more comfortable body (I'm left handed, and the Japanese are notorious for ignoring lefties...and I have a partially disabled right hand, so it makes it very difficult to hang onto most of the digicams out there).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyun
Or one could make the argument that the Olympus users are just more clueless and need more help... :lol:

Just kidding, am a happy owner of three Olympus digicams.
How about that Oly members are more friendly, they come out from their own forum to help those in the General forum. I admit for the longest time I only hung out in the Oly forum, but I decided to check out the General forum...I don't go into the other forums.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2003, 6:24 AM   #6

Or one could make the assumption that some brands have fewer posts because their cams are so straight forward, giving excellent pics every shot from reliable products, with manuals and website bursting with so much help, service and support second to none, owners don't need to visit us. - Just kidding!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2003, 8:02 AM   #7

Or that they aren't technologically savvy enough to go online, that's why they get simpler cameras in the first place!

We can go on making these "jokes", but it's not doing any good. It's just the way it is...some people gravitate towards these forums while others don't. It's not a case of "build it and they will come". I see the same thing on PDA (Palm, PPC, etc.) websites...There may be a popular forum covering every single platform, but people who own a particular brand may avoid the site because they don't want to associated with other users of other brands, or they gravitate to their own home, a site totally dedicated to their brand of PDA.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2003, 6:00 PM   #8

Hmm, I wonder where I can find the numbers on sales of digital cameras for the various manufacturors. It would also be cool to compare them year by year. Then maybe we could get the facts.
Old Mar 23, 2003, 6:13 PM   #9

I found some interesting stuff here: http://news.com.com/2100-1040-984381.html

In the article it named Sony top seller followed by Olympus, and then Kodak.

I believe the reason for this is that the article states that the vast majority of cameras were sold in the 200-400 dollar range. While some of Olympus's cameras fit that category, most don't. Kodak definatly fits that with cameras as low as 100$. This doesn't neccesarily make sony or kodak good cameras either, as I understand it, neither makes their own stuff. I think most of Kodak's is made by Nikkon. I found this out from my local camera dealer who only sold Olympus, Nikkon, and Fuji primarily, no sony, or Kodak, because he said he wouldn't sell anything from a company that didn't make cameras.

Anyway, I'll keep looking.
Old Mar 23, 2003, 6:29 PM   #10

I think Olympus, Sony, and Nikon are all decent selling cameras. Personally I went with Olympus because I had seen some wonderful shots on the forums I go to from other members with Olympus cameras. I liked the colors and the overall picture quality. I know alot of the mid range cameras are all pretty high quality now. And I will recomend the same brand to people I know, but at the same time I tell them to check out several review sites and look at other brands as well. And spend around 2 weeks researching the cameras before you decide what camera you want to buy.

I currently own a C2100, started with a HP315. I have been lightly looking at getting a second camera that I can fit in my pocket for those times I don't want to lug around the big 2100. I've toyed with the idea of getting one of those cheap $40 mini mini cam's as well. Just to take pics of those odd things you see, with something that cheap I wouldn't have to worry about it being stolen from the car
MIDACL is offline   Reply With Quote