Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 23, 2003, 11:12 AM   #1

Default Shutterlack, a problem or not ...... if so what to do ?

Hi,

Although I'm VERY happy with my HP850, for learning it does everything I need and has super zoom functions.

In future (when prices drop) I want to go for a body with exchangable lenses.

But now the question
Yesterday I tried to capture some Rally shots, I used the pre-focus trick, and got the camera on ACTION.
Still when I press the shutter it took a too long time to get the picture on the CCD.

Is this normal, what can I do about it (allready got the LCD off (standard on the 850)).

Which camera (payable) is better to bridge the gap untill the body types fall in the $ 1500,00 range.

Hope you can help....

Great site by the way.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2003, 1:26 PM   #2

Hi Frank,

I'm not sure of the price of the Canon 10D in your country, but here in the U.S., it's averaging about $1495 U.S.

Unfortunately, there are no really super fast (in terms of shutter lag) cameras in the consumer range, and only a few in the upper prosumer (Olympus E10/E20), Canon D30, Canon D60, Canon 10D, Nikon D100, Fuji S2) range.

The best of the lot overall right now in that price range here would be the Canon EOS-10D for sure. You "could" pick up an Olympus E10, which has a very fast shutter/autofocus lock, but after about four sequential shots you will have to wait for the buffer to fill. The other down side is that there are significant limitations as to the telephoto range you will be able to get.

Better, I think, to spend your money for the Canon EOS-10D or Nikon D100, either of which should do what you want to do very nicely.

Lin

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2003, 1:29 PM   #3

Thanks,

For the time being I will sit it out I guess, I spoke with someone from Canon and according to him, shutterlack will not be a real problem any more in about 1-1.5 years.

Greetings,
Frank
Old Mar 24, 2003, 7:17 PM   #4

You could just pick up a E-100rs until then. They are going for around 500 right now. And they have 10x zoom, a large buffer and it is the fastest digi camera out there that I know of.
MIDACL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2003, 10:25 PM   #5

Frank Doorhof

I have to agree with Lin. Both the Canon 10D and the Nikon D100 should be able to focus fast (with the right lens) and take the picture so fast that you won't miss the shot. Especially since you know how to prefocus.

If you are not getting pictures now and there is a camera (two, actually) which would fit yours needs and your budget.... Then you should get it. You are trading future features (and maybe some cost savings) against missing pictures. And isn't getting the shot what we are here for?

If the HP850 has a fully manual mode, or a mode with focus and aperture lock... then you might get faster pictures. I believe that some cameras even when pre-focused will double check the focus when you press the shutter button.... which costs time. I seem to remember some posts here awhile back suggesting that with some degrees of manual mode you can cut the time between shutter press and picture to something very small. I don't remember what camera they were refering to, but it might apply here as well.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2003, 2:08 AM   #6

Hi,

The E100rs is not an option, I would really like to keep the 4MP resolution.

I will check the manual setting of the shutterspeed.
I'm not really missing pics by the way it was just with the rally that everything went so fast I had to really calculate, on normal shooting (I love to shoot my son playing) I have it dead on almost everytime.

Will keep an eye out, and I have a full year before the next Rally over here (explanation: the Zuiderzee Rally is held right next to our house once a year).

Greetings,
Frank