Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 23, 2003, 8:58 PM   #1

Default computers and laptops

QUESTION-- I am getting into digital photography, need a laptop, apple or pc? just not sure what to buy. I have a canon 1Ds, use photoshop 7 now, but unsure if I should make the switch to a Mac or not. Need pros and cons....thanks Jim
cucster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2003, 9:36 PM   #2

Only get a laptop IF you need something that's portable. You are paying a big premium for a limited device (in terms of expansion). Also you are paying for inferior display technology because for serious photo editing CRT is superior; take a look at this thread which has a discussion within about the CRT vs. LCD debate, http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...&highlight=crt

As for switching platforms to a Mac, if you're happy with the OS you got now, stick with it as Photoshop is available for both Windows and Mac...less of a learning curve sticking with what you know...unless you are going into a business where the Mac is dominant, then I'd get a Mac to practice on.

Guess I should add here that I have over 20 years of computer experience with many different platforms over that time.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2003, 12:58 AM   #3

Well, as long as you are using photoshop for all of your editing, i'd say whatever you want, but mac is the most widely used platform in the world of graphic arts and photo such stuff. I once went to a place that did editing for movies on a field trip, and for the editing itself, all they used was g4 towers and they had an entire room of g4 servers.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2003, 1:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark50
I once went to a place that did editing for movies on a field trip, and for the editing itself, all they used was g4 towers and they had an entire room of g4 servers.
The program they probably used, Adobe Premiere, is again available for both the Mac and PC (I use it myself on the PC). The fact that the Mac is the be all and end all of graphics editing is no more. You can do things equally well on either platform.

If you're doing this type of work day in and day out for a lot of money, then you probably want to use a Mac as the OS is more robust.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 2:46 AM   #5

The macintosh was made for Multimedia uses. Be it edting photos, movies, audio, it is what they were designed for.

But like the other posts, if you are using a pc now, stick with it.

If your place of work, or perhaps place of future work use macs, then it would be easier to bring work home kinda thing.

I used to use a mac, if I had the money, I would buy another mac, but for now my PC gaming habits are easier to deal with on a pc
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2003, 11:04 PM   #6

cucster

You don't say what machine you use know, only that you use Photoshop.

Like Mike_PEAT, I've been using computer professionally and otherwise for the last 20 years or more. If you have a Mac, stick with it. If you don't.... it's a harder choice. PCs are faster, but the OS is (last I knew) more difficult to use and maintain. If you already have money invested in software (like photoshop) and then the machine does what you want... then stick with it.

But be warned, the 1Ds makes HUGE pictures. Invest in lots of ram. You won't regret it.

Gimli

If you don't need a newer Mac, I wouldn't get it. Apple has plan swith IBM to switch to the Power4 processor. I won't happen soon, but it will happen. That will give the Mac huge boost in speed. Unless you really need the speed (and then I'd get a dual CPU system) I'd wait.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2003, 6:10 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies. I currently use a pc platform with 1gb of ram. I only have the money to invest once, just did not know which way to go. I need a laptop for on the go work, mainly for downloading photos and cropping etc. I don't mind the investment in the right system, but only once if possible. Thanks again for the info.
cucster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2003, 6:36 PM   #8

for a 1000 you can get a decent laptop from dell with a 15" screen 2g celeron cpu which will be enough computing power for you. Buy a mac if you are thinking about getting into photo editing professionally
kschewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2003, 11:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucster
Thanks for the replies. I currently use a pc platform with 1gb of ram. I only have the money to invest once, just did not know which way to go. I need a laptop for on the go work, mainly for downloading photos and cropping etc. I don't mind the investment in the right system, but only once if possible. Thanks again for the info.
Well, if you already have all the photo software for the one platform, you can invest more in a more powerful laptop rather than putting the money towards software for the other platform.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 8:10 AM   #10

run my desktop photoshop, mapped to my p3-850 laptop just fine - wirelessly too... but i sure do wish the laptop had one of the higher end displays.
Standard laptop 1024x , High-Color 16bit displays, just don't get it for color editing.
mikep is offline   Reply With Quote