Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 26, 2003, 10:30 AM   #21

again due to the lack of info on xfr speeds from canon i really couldn't say. i can only refer you to the above DB and show that on different pro cameras acted differently.

without quantifiable data i cannot give a truethful answer.

my suggestion is go to a shop. they usually have cards around for demo purposes. they are always the less expensive ones too. if there is a sandisk there ask to try it in your camera. take a shot at the highest res you have and count the time from xfr light on to off. see the size of the image you shot and do the math. that will give you a rough idea of the xfr rate. then test the cards you already own the same way and now you have something to work with.

in short if your old card took 15 seconds to record an image from light on to light off and the sandisk took 25 the answer becomes quite obvious.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2003, 9:47 PM   #22
Me

Well, today I found out Sandisk is about the slowest media you can buy.

People who have problems with the Viking from Amazon have been able to exchange it, and nobody has had problems with the exchanged media that I could tell. Maybe Amazon just got a bad lot.

Also, regular Viking is faster than Sandisk ultra.
Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2003, 9:51 PM   #23

again that will vary from camera model to camera model.
Old Mar 28, 2003, 1:55 PM   #24

Default Lexar & Ridata cards

What about Lexar and Ridata CF1 cards? I hear that these are the best at 20 - 24x write speeds.
MarkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2003, 2:26 PM   #25

lexar are excellent cards and are now up to 40x. the pro line is lifetime warranteed and comes with their own recovery software.

ridata- occasionally my Brother inlaw had issues with them on his D100. they seem not to have distributership in the US officially so for warranty calls it seems your at the mercy of the particular vendor. i have seen the Warranty run anywhere from 1 year to 3 years on ebay type vendors. power by numbers in Oz (Australia) fully back them but sending them to Oz is a bit costly and time consuming the pricing is not so far off from each other if you look hard enough.