Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 12, 2006, 10:38 PM   #1

Ive read around to turn off all auto focus set the camera to manual then set it for infinity focus to get the fastest refresh but does anyone have any other tips or is this the best way?

Canon A series cameras. I cant seems to get any of them any faster then about 2 shots per second. A60, A70 and A510 all seem to be the same speed.
BowerR64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2006, 11:40 PM   #2

What you describe is the basic steps I've heard others say. I can't think of any thing else you can skip (AF, metering) to speed it up.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 11:57 PM   #3

If you don't have to have the highest image quality, I would think that reducing the photo's size and quality levels will reduce the amount of image data to be processed, and perhaps allow higher speeds to be possible.
tomcat5470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2006, 12:00 AM   #4

The burst mode is just as fast in auto everything for the 2nd and subsequent shots. In many cameras manual focus or infinity focus will get your first shot faster. Manual exposure has no effect on the speed of even the first shot.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2006, 4:47 AM   #5

But with infinity focus you can shoot from the hip, grab and snap.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 12:17 PM   #6

Slipe,
I'd assume that some (maybe) tiny bit of time is spend metering the scene. If you set it to full manual that time is saved. At least, that logic sounds right. I don't have a point and shoot (never have) so I can't test my theory. Is it just so much of a small savings that it effectively doesn't matter?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2006, 3:28 PM   #7

eric s wrote:
Quote:
Slipe,
I'd assume that some (maybe) tiny bit of time is spend metering the scene. If you set it to full manual that time is saved. At least, that logic sounds right. I don't have a point and shoot (never have) so I can't test my theory. Is it just so much of a small savings that it effectively doesn't matter?

Eric
Hi Eric. All of my cameras meter constantly. The metering is usually set by the time you can push the shutter, and any delays aren't associated with metering.

Non-DSLR full press manual focus times are usually in the 0.2 to 0.8 range, and that is always more time than the exposure takes. The A620 is probably the fastest of the A series along with the A610, and the full press time is 0.276 in manual focus. The exposure it well established in that time.

In burst mode the camera fixes both metering and focus with the first shot, so subsequent shots aren't usually affected by either metering or focus.

Your DSLR might be different since the shutter is so fast in manual focus. But unless it doesn't meter constantly like non-DSLRs I would think the metering would be established by the time you could push the button just like the prosumer cameras.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2006, 9:08 PM   #8

I did notice the first shot is slower then the rest when its in full auto. When its not the first and last are the same.

It says somthing in the manual to press the shutter button halfway and while its locked on the subject switch to manual focus and it then locks at that point. I havnt tried it yet.