Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 15, 2006, 9:42 PM   #1

Hi everyone (this is my first post in this forum)

I'm going to a Coldplay concert in March, and I have a Fujifilm 2650 camera. the problem is i'm sitting in the upper bowl (Air Canada centre if ur in Toronto), so it isnt exactly too close to the stage, but it is a side view, so it isnt too far either. I was wondering if this camera would take decent pictures of the stage, considering it will also be a low lighting condition? Or should I try to borrow my friends canon sd200? since that's the only other camera I have access to. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

scruffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2006, 10:06 PM   #2
Administrator

I'm afraid you're probably going to be disappointed with either either camera model. These are not really designed for existing light photos in low light of moving subjects without a flash (and you'll be outside of their flash range).

Your Fuji has a fixed ISO speed of 100. With it's lens, that' s just not sensitive enough to record images at a typical indoor concert.

The Canon would probably be a better choice. But, you'll probably need to set the ISO speed to 400 to have any chance at getting some keepers without too much motion blur. Make sure to turn the flash off (it's not going to help at the distances you'll be shooting from anyway, and some models keep the shutter speeds too fast to expose darker scenes if you engage it). Set White Balance to incandescent (Tungsten) for starters.

Then, use noise reduction tools later to try and reduce the appearance of noise (you'll have lots of grain/noise at higher ISO speeds with a camera like this).

Try the free community edition of Noiseware and the demo (free and doesn't expire) version of Neat Image to help reduce it's appearance later.

Take lots of photos to increase your number of keepers, and don't use any more optical zoom than you absolutely have to (more than twice as much light reaches the sensor through the lens at it's widest setting compared to it's longest setting with this camera).

Brace yourself when taking photos to reduce any blur from camera shake, smoothly squeezing the shutter button. Use continuous mode and take photos in bursts to help get more without motion blur, too.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 11:32 PM   #3

thanks a lot for the info. i'm gonna save this page for sure as reference. i'm also going to see if there are any other camers i can try to get a hold of. because right now i cant afford to buy one (college student)
Old Feb 16, 2006, 9:01 AM   #4

Check to make sure you are allowed to bring a camera into the concert. Lots of variation in the rules - sometimes no cameras of any kind, sometimes only "non profesional" cameras, ... Of course it is left to the guys at the door to decide what a "non profesional' camera is, and they have less knowledge of cameras than the counter clerk at Wall*Mart.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 10:36 AM   #5

something like a canon s2 or the panasonic FZ's would be a good choice for this venue. Its a small enough camera that most would consider it a no nprofessional model, but has a fantastic zoom range and image stabilization. Its iso of 400 and not so fast lens hurt, but without being able to bring in a DSLR its about as good as you can get.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 1:14 PM   #6

Well, on the ticket it would usually say no cameras, but it doesnt say anything. Plus I have a friend who went to see them at the same venue and no one had a problem with him taking a camera.