Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 19, 2006, 7:50 AM   #1

Hi,

I am one of those people who like playing around with new technoigy, especially when it comes to applications such as photoshop. Becuase of this experimentation my Photographic work flow is really messed up and know I want to resolve it once and for all.

At present I am running the following system and applications;

Apple Mac; Adobe CS2; iLife 06 and Adobe Lightroom.

I tend to import all my files to iPhoto because thats what automatically launches, my major issue there is you can not edit Raw images directly within the application. So I now have two files of the same image. Jpeg and Raw. I tend to only do something with image when I need it, so I export a RAW version of the photograph, that's now three version of the file. Can you see where I'm going here! And before you get to bored it generally end up being a bit of a mess.

I am looking for work flow suggestions to tidy and speed up my work flow, and reduced the amount of images I have laying around.

I know I need to get into the habit of making certain changes on import, but if I do not use iphoto how do I get the images off the camera? Adobe Bridge looks like a great little application, but I also have Lightroom which to does a great job.

Anyway any thoughts would be great at this point, or maybe you know of a great article I should read?

Thanks in advance
grant.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2006, 7:54 AM   #2

Not sure what you mean when you say you 'export a raw version of the photograph'.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 8:05 AM   #3

iPhoto, creates a Jpeg for viewing within iPhoto, when you want to edit the RAW files, you go to File Export to extract the RAW file to a new location to edit, this copies the RAW file, thus file number 3, once you have applied changes you have to save the file somewhere else.

All this when most of the time I just want to adjust white Balance and exposure and leave the files alone for later use.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 2:58 AM   #4

Over the weekend I found anotherĀ*reasons not to use iPhoto, some of the older files seem to have become corrupt, it has also changed the way it stores files fromĀ*version 5, and in that changing process seems to have lost some files
Old Feb 20, 2006, 4:29 AM   #5
Super Moderator

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...nagement.shtml
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 5:02 AM   #6

Well after alot of playing around I have come up with a system I am pretty happy with. So this is as much a reference to myself and help for anyone who wants its.

To start I use Image Capture to import the files into a folder within my pictures directory;

That folder gets named; Descriptive_Name_DDMMYY
I then use Adobe Bridge to view and make basic alterations.
Once I have picked images I am happy I use Lightroom, this is because it has superior editing functions and you can reference in the original, thus no duplicate files.
In fact you can pretty much use Lightroom like iPhoto apart from I could stream photos from iPhoto to my 360 and view them on TV!

So there it is, if anyone can suggest something I am missing please feel free to comment.

P.s. Thanks for the link peripatetic