Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 19, 2006, 11:42 AM   #1

Any reason to or not to consider the extended warranties on DSLRs?

Understood margins are razor thin in electronics retailers and most profits are in those warranties. (Feel good insurance or scam, you choose.) Some electronics I'll take my chances. Others, too many things can go wrong. 9Makes me feel good on some.) Which is the case with DSLRs?

Are the included annual CLEANINGS worth the cost of extended warranties alone? Any pitfalls to these cleanings? (Delicate electronics actually going to certified service center or Joe's garage?) Any reason to avoid these cleanings with the big box retailers like Best Buy and Circuit City? (I'd love to support my local camera shops. I'd love to save tons online. But, have too much saved up in rewards programs to not go to the big electronics store regardless of price, lack of knowledge, etc.)

Finally, do these extended warranties add value on used camera market?

leeraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2006, 11:47 AM   #2

Depends a lot on where it's from. And what's avail where you live.. If you plan on reselling it privatly in a few years to upgrade, you'll have better luck selling it with a valid warrenty.. but where you have it.. also makes a diff.

My rule is.. that if I'm spending over 500 clams, I'll get some sort of coverage.. Ie: my comp.. 2 'tuneups' cost the same as my warrenty which includes them.

My S2.. got a warrenty.. I plan on upgrading in 2 years. Also the one I got covers certain accidental damage.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 11:54 AM   #3

Did find out warranties in my are ARE transferrable to future owners. Unfortunately not the case everywhere.
leeraff is offline   Reply With Quote