Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 21, 2006, 3:21 AM   #1

anybody know if dropping SD cards can damage them? sometimes when i eject my SD card from my S2is, and if im not careful, the camera shoots it out about 4 feet!! sometimes landing on concrete flooring. but so far, the card is still OK.
asr dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2006, 9:51 AM   #2
DBB

asr dude wrote:
Quote:
anybody know if dropping SD cards can damage them? sometimes when i eject my SD card from my S2is, and if im not careful, the camera shoots it out about 4 feet!! sometimes landing on concrete flooring. but so far, the card is still OK.
It's not a good idea to drop anything. I personally have dropped onto the ground usually without damaging myself, but this doesn't mean I wont break in the future...

Better develop a technique so that this doesn't happen again.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 6:45 PM   #3

LOLOLOL.. I burst out laughing at this sorry.. HOW?????? I'm tempted to try and 'load' my card up just to try it.. sounds hilarious.

Sorry.. lol.. in all seriousness.. I 'think' the only way to damage them is to scratch the contact points (or get them dirty).. crack the casing.. or have it come in contact with something magnetic.

vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 2:37 AM   #4
Bub

This reminds me of the movie National Lampoon's European Vacation where the Polaroid camera keeps "shooting" the pictures out about 4 feet! :-)
Bub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 1:40 PM   #5

I've never dropped an SD or CF card, but my wife did launder a USB jump drive. It went through the whole laundry cycle, complete with about an hour in the dryer. It still works.
bh357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 3:48 PM   #6

I KNOW that's going to happen to me. I've had the oddest things go through the wash.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 3:41 PM   #7
E.T

Sounds like floppy drive of one PC I've used...

vwmom wrote:
Quote:
I 'think' the only way to damage them is to scratch the contact points (or get them dirty).. crack the casing.. or have it come in contact with something magnetic.
Memory cards aren't magnetic medias so magnets shouldn't harm them any way...
But there's other much bigger hazard, static electricity, visible contacts are very prone to that.

vwmom wrote:
Quote:
I KNOW that's going to happen to me. I've had the oddest things go through the wash.
Now isn't literally washing moneys with clothes normal?

Other thing is finding TV's remote control from freezer or fridge.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 3:46 PM   #8

LOL.. I did that with my cel phone once.. left it in the fridge and put the creamer by the door. At least when I left to go out seeing the creamer, I knew where to look for keys..lol

Static?. I didn't know that. So when it's weather like now.. and I get sparks from wearing fleece.. would that do it?
Old Feb 23, 2006, 4:12 PM   #9
E.T

vwmom wrote:
Quote:
Static?. I didn't know that. So when it's weather like now.. and I get sparks from wearing fleece.. would that do it?
If you get visible sparks that means there's magnitude more voltage than in wall socket...

Electric engineering's books in vocational institude used ~3000 volts per millimeter break-through voltage for air. (lousy insulator, aluminum oxide has 700kV/mm)
Of course things like air humidity affects to breakthrough voltage and how much of/fast static electricity forms, then floor material and clothes are others, electrically insulating materials are best for forming of static electricity.

So in those circumstances I would definitely prefer grounding myself for example touching battery of central heating system before handling those... especially when card has visible contacts and component's aren't inside metal casing. (metal case would work as Faraday cage)
Also kitchen sink should be grounded... or metal cases of any electric devices.

PS. Remember that air's break-trough voltage when next time watching lightnings striking through hundreds meters of air.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 7:58 PM   #10

Read this...Two SD cards fell when a balloon experiment burst at 80,000 ft and fell into the ocean. 5 days later is was recovered. The cards had been in seawater for 5 days. One card was readable the other sent to Sandisk and they extracted the data from it...

http://currents.ucsc.edu/05-06/07-11/sandisk.asp
Roboshooter is offline   Reply With Quote