Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 22, 2006, 4:31 AM   #1

Hi everyone! I need help and some suggestions. Hope some can!!!

I have lost 1500 digital pictures in my computer. Pictures from Olympus C-730.

I have Windows XP professional. Did not download the pictures as a administrator as maybe I should have done,so all in the family had access to the pictures to do what ever.

I made a search on the computer for all pictures and found them but only circaone inch x one inch, or 96x72, and unable to enlarge them. The name has also changed to for examble:~2a35e024a944f1c2e64e7e43b800.jpg

I have had help from freinds and some programs and we where able to find some 150 pictures but not as big as the originals.

Now I have bought a dvd/cd burner and external hard disk for back-up.

Thanks in advance!!!

Attached Images

oskos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2006, 4:58 AM   #2

When you say with some programs you've managed to find 150 picture do you mean recovery software such as zero assumption http://www.z-a-recovery.com/digital-image-recovery.htmif so I'm not sure what else you can do.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 5:03 AM   #3

What event ocurred that caused the loss of the pictures...a virus? computer crashed? someone just deleted them? Where did you upload them...into "my pictures"? a separate folder in your 'c' drive? Did you check your recycle bin?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 5:06 AM   #4

Did you download them using Olympus Master? If so, they're probably hidden away somewhere on one of your drives. Do a full system search for all files with the extension "jpg* and see if it doesn't point them out.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 5:47 AM   #5

Hi and thanks for replying,

yes I have used file recovery pro demo, irfan view, PC inspector file recovery.

Oskar
Old Feb 22, 2006, 5:52 AM   #6

Hi thanks for reply

The pictures where in My pictures in a onefolder 1500 picturesthere, I am not sure what happened propable virus,

Rgds
Old Feb 22, 2006, 6:08 AM   #7

Hi and thanks for reply

I have done a jpg search and the computer finds all the lostpictures but they are all 2-3 kb. in a folder called C:\Documents and Settings\ASV\Local settings\Temp

Regards
Old Feb 22, 2006, 7:25 AM   #8

I lost all of my digital pictures at one time when my Mster Boot Record was damaged. I was able to get pretty much all of the files back using Easy Recovery Pro. It sounds like the same type of software you already tried. First thing to do is to stop adding and deleting files until you either find your lost files or decide to give up in them. If they did get deleted, they are still on the computer but only the filename was changed to show it as deleted. Your system will only completely remove the file if it puts something else in its place. So, stop any kind of saving and deleting. the less your drive is accessed, the better.

Let's start with the basics.

1. Have you run a Virus scan on your system? There have been viruses in the past that would change the .jpg extension to something else, and others that would corrupt your .jpg files all together.

2. Have you checked the Recycling Bin? (Like I said, Basics)

3. Instead of searching for .jpg, try searching for the first part of the filename, like DSC0022 instead of *.jpg. This may help if the extension was changed.

4. Is there a possibility that someone could have set the pictures to Hidden? This would cause them to not show up in a search unless you specifically tell it to include Hidden files. To check the Hidden Status try this. Open My Computer, Click on Tools, Click on Folder Options, Click the View tab, look for "Do not show hidden files and folders" and see if it is selected, if it is, change it to "Show hidden files and folders". Now go check and see if the files are where you saved them.

5. Try another recovery program, http://www.ontrack.com/easyrecoverydatarecovery/Give this trial a shot, it may help and it may not. If the files are on the computer, this will find them.

6. I just about out of ideas, but if you try the above steps and have any other questions, I'll be glad to try and help.

Good luck,

Dave Porter
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 8:32 AM   #9
Administrator

headhunter66 wrote:
Quote:
1. Have you run a Virus scan on your system? There have been viruses in the past that would change the .jpg extension to something else, and others that would corrupt your .jpg files all together.
I wouldn't doubt that. A number of stories were circulating about a worm that was going to strike on February 3rd. Here is one of them:

Story on Nyxem worm

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 3:56 PM   #10
E.T

Don't save anything to hard drive in question, even running OS can overwrite files if those have been deleted, best thing would be taking HD to other computer and making bit precise image of its content as backup if you must use OS from it or then directly trying to recover those using other computer, and to other hard drive.

Here's one file recovery program which should find JPGs even without file header.
http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm
(file header is inside file and tells its type, and it's entirely separate from file extension)

And you can make certain folders "available" to only one normal user so there's no need to use admin user for preventing others getting to that folder.

PS. Now you know why backups aren't optional thing to do.

Nyxem targeted document files...
http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/nyxem_e.shtml
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote