Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 28, 2003, 1:08 PM   #1

Default i have samsung vp-m50 8mm video camera is it digital camera

can i join it to pc and how
horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2003, 2:00 PM   #2

A little off topic (this site is mainly for digital still cameras) but here's the basics...

That camera is a standard analog 8mm. The only way to get output from it to a PC is to get a device that captures analog video and sound (I believe that camera is PAL so you'd need a PAL capture device). With this setup, you click Capture on the PC, and then press play on the camcorder.

If the camcorder was one of the newer digital formats, you'd have a firewire port on it which is a special interface which you can both capture digital video and control the camcorder from the PC.

Suggest you look for a site that discusses camcorder issues.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2003, 8:53 PM   #3

Hi, this site may be for still cameras, but from what I noticed is a lot of people who have still cameras, have a video camera as well, both ends are very fun. I have run into your same issue as well when I bought my video camera, its a Sony Hi8mm analog video camera. I have tried many different devices to transfer analog video into digital video on the computer. This is what I have found out. I have had two ATI All In Wonder video cards that have a tuner card built into the video card. These dont work, at least for me anyway, I have had a 8mb version and a 64 mb version of the video card, they both were terrible, expensive, very buggy and the video capturing was terrible.

The next device I got was a Dazzle Digital Video Creator 80, this is ok for low quality video, but the video was real choppy like the ATI cards, I did not like it. It plugged into the USB port of your computer, I sold that and got somthing I really like.

I just got a KWorld Tv Tuner card. It is a TV-tuner, FM radio all in one, so you can watch tv and listen to the radio on your computer!. You can capture 640x480 video at a great quality with no dropped frames. One other thing is it can capture still pictures from the video, it is low quality , but It works. It also comes with a remote, which works very well too. I love this product, it uses a regular PCI slot on your computer, it is cheaper than most tuner cards as well, ($43.00 with shipping) check out this website if you would like to buy. It is totally worth it if you do not have a video camera that can digitaly stream data to your computer. The model I have is Model KW-TV878RF . Do a search for TV tuner cards and you will come up with a bunch on the newegg website, ASUS makes an even nicer one for about 65 dollars, I havent heard if it is any good though. I should also mention that you should have a fairly new computer to capture video, it is a memory intensive process, I have a 1.5 ghz computer and it works fine. Hope this helps you! Feel free to email me for any questions. [email protected]

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...+tv+tuner+card
djkothbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2003, 9:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkothbauer
Hi, this site may be for still cameras, but from what I noticed is a lot of people who have still cameras, have a video camera as well
Many people who have still cameras also have cars, but we don't talk about them here!
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2003, 10:24 PM   #5

Many people who have still cameras also have cars, but we don't talk about them here!

Thanks for the advice Mike, next time I want to post a message about my car :?: :?: :?: I'll stay clear of this camera forum
djkothbauer is offline   Reply With Quote