Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 26, 2006, 12:09 AM   #1

Sure enough, Leica has joined the 4/3 group, and Panasonic is announcing its prototype dSLR; hopefully we'll see something concrete at Photokina in September.

Announcements Here

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2006, 8:11 AM   #2

More on the Panny-Leica-Sigma announcements at PMA:

The following announcements were made today:

Leica endorses 4/3
And Panasonic announces its own dSLR:
Panasonic's DMC-L1

A prototype picture is even up on a Japanese site:

The new DMC-L1 will have live preview, same as Oly's E-330.

Further, Leica has announced at least one new lens for 4/3 format, a Leica D Vario-Elmarit 14-50mm/F2.8-3.5 ASPH zoom, and most surprising, it will have optical image stabilization, something I wasn't expecting for four-thirds. It's being called an "exclusive" lens, which makes one wonder how well it will mesh with the other 4/3 cameras.

Sigma has also announced Five lenses for the 4/3 mount (you have to scroll down to see the announcement). The only one that interests me much right now is the f1.4 30mm, but it's nice to see them put their money where their mouth is.

Let's go digital has a large photo and mini-preview of the new Panasonic only it leaves a lot of questions unanswered. It'll be nice to see more concrete details in coming weeks/months.

Old Feb 26, 2006, 8:33 AM   #3
Administrator

Norm in Fujino wrote:
Quote:
Sigma has also announced Five lenses for the 4/3 mount (you have to scroll down to see the announcement). The only one that interests me much right now is the f1.4 30mm, but it's nice to see them put their money where their mouth is.
Yep, they announced that lens for Konica Minolta DSLR models, too.

I've got my eye on it, since I could use another stop at times with my KM Maxxum 5D in clubs with poor lignting. Even with ISO 3200 and anti-shake to help out with my 5D, my 28mm f/2 isn't quite bright enough at times.

The Sigma 30mm f/1.4 seems to compare very favorably with similar primes from other manufacturers (even on DSLR models with sensors larger than you'd have with a 4/3's system), based on tests I've seen with Canon and Nikon DSLR models.

So, on a 4/3's mount camera like the Oly or new Panasonic, it should be even sharper.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 9:03 AM   #4

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Norm in Fujino wrote:
Quote:
So, on a 4/3's mount camera like the Oly or new Panasonic, it should be even sharper.
The most upbeat thing in all these announcements is that they seem to show some confidence that the 4/3 system is here to stay (at least longer than the "evolutionary deadend" predicted by some).

Old Feb 26, 2006, 10:42 AM   #5

I wonder about the Panasonic DSLR preannouncement. It shows a DSLR with a live view display, which can't be flipped out - unlike the E330. That doesn't make sense. I would use such a display only, when I hold the camera over my head or near my feet. Otherwise it only costs battery life and increases camera shake.
The Panasonic preannouncement is a rather dirty Windows 95 like marketing trick, where you creat a lot of buzz to detere potential customers from buying other products meanwhile. In the case of Windows 95 the campaign was very successfull: it won over the earlier and better OS/2 2.0.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 4:03 AM   #6

kassandro wrote:
Quote:
The Panasonic preannouncement is a rather dirty Windows 95 like marketing trick, where you creat a lot of buzz to detere potential customers from buying other products meanwhile. In the case of Windows 95 the campaign was very successfull: it won over the earlier and better OS/2 2.0.
Well, you can't win; announce something and people complain it's vaporware; wait until the day before it goes on sale and people complain you're not keeping them informed of developments (like with the successor to the E-1).

I agree that the Panny will be much less attractive if the LCD doesn't angle. That will seriously reduce its attractiveness for me. But have to wait to see actual photo samples to know what kind of image quality it's capable of, especially at high ISOs.