Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 26, 2006, 4:31 PM   #1

Ok, so I am new to this digital camera thing. I took pics with my new camera last night and had it set to Large Superfine. I thought that would give me the highest resolution, but when I open the photos in Photoshop it says the photo is 10 x 14 and the resolution is only 180.

I don't need pics that large, but I want photos with at least 300 dpi. Can someone tell me how to get that?

Thanks!
jbjalways is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2006, 6:00 PM   #2

What camera are you using?
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 6:38 PM   #3
Baz

The 180 DPI setting you see have no relation to the quality of the camera image. It is just a setting that can be changed in photo editing or printing software, so as to determine the output or print size. It has no bearing on the screen quality or size. This is determined by your monitor resolution.

The real measure of the camera resolution is the megapixels. i.e. pixels across x pixels down. The more the better.

DPI does have a bearing on a photo print size & quality. e.g. say your image is 2400 pixels wide. Using photo editing or printing software, if you select an 8" wide print, the resulting print dpi will be 300, which is excellent. Selecting a 12" print gives a 200dpi print, which is still accepable, but you dont want much less for a good print.

Dont worry about those dpi properties you see. They are not a function of camera resolution or quality.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 6:41 PM   #4

Don't worry about the file size photoshop indicates. It's just the parameters passed from the camera. The image file can still support a smaller print at 300dpi. You don't really need to change anything. If you prefer to resize to exact print dimensions however, photoshop has crop templates for 4x6, 5x7, 8x10 etc... that are already defaulted to 300 dpi. But you really don't need to downsize at all. You just have to be aware that different print types will have a different aspect ratio (i.e if you have an image with a 4x6 aspect ratio, then an 8x10crop will chop a big chunk off both sides).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 3:08 AM   #5

vwmom wrote:
Quote:
What camera are you using?
I'm using a Canon S2.

I took the pics at Large Superfine which is supposed to be the highest quality. I was just concerned because Photoshop said it was 180 dpi.

This will sound stupid, but....since I took the pics so large, can a store just print them at the 4x6 size or do I need to crop and make smaller? and how do I give it to them on a CD?
Old Feb 27, 2006, 5:00 AM   #6
Baz

jb, It appears you did not quite understand the advice from JohnG & myself, in that you are still concerned that Photoshop says it is 180 dpi. It is of no significance, unless you are using Photoshop to print on your own printer, and it can then be changed to suit your print size.

You did not take a "pics so large" with your camera, but you did take the best quality, highest pixel resolution image file. Thats excellent & to be recommended. The print size is determined at the time of printing, either at home, or by the printing service.

As JohnG said, you dont really need to change anything. Your image files will print fine at 4 x 6" or larger. But just be aware as John said about aspect ratios. Digi cameras mostly take pics in an aspect ratio of 4:3. But the popular 4 x 6" size is 3:2 ratio. And so a little of your 4:3 image will be lost or cropped when printed. Usually this does not matter, except in shots where a persons head or feet maybe chopped off if near the edge of the frame. Some printing services offer a 6 x 4.5" size which is the 4:3 ratio.

If you are concerned about the ratio problem, read JohnG's advice again about the Photoshop crop templates for 4 x 6 & other sizes.

Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 7:24 AM   #7

Just to rephrase the same point that others have made: dpi has absolutely no meaning whatsoever until you print. When you print, the comination of the dpi setting and the number of pixels (dots) will determing the physical size of the print unless your printing program overrides it - and most will.

The only reason that there is a dpi in the image from your camera is that some software expects a number to be there and might crash without it. The dpi is nothing more than an entry in the EXIF data - it has no bearing on theresoution of the image.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 3:29 AM   #8

Thank you everyone for the information. I have Adobe PhotoShop and that's where the resolutionsays it's 180 pixels per inch.

I do not intend on printing them at home, but want to make sure that I took the highest quality so they would print nice at a store. If I can figure out how to give it to them.

Thanks.