Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 29, 2003, 1:52 PM   #1

Default Help

Just discovered this site. Recommended to me by a friend.

I want to get into digital photography.... and have no background or experience with this field whatsoever.

I am a competent photographer and have a fair amount of traditional equipment.... but I think the time has come for me to learn digital photography.

At the moment I do NOT own a digital camera so that is an area I want to learn something about. What camera to buy? How to learn to use one? Etc. and etc.

At the same time, however, I want to acquire skill and competency with the computer aspects of digital photography. I have a computer... have some basic skills with using it.... but have a lot to learn.

So I guess my first question for this group is: how do you recommend I get started? Are there classes to go to? Courses to take?

How should I begin?

Thanks to all who reply and help.

Al G.
alglanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2003, 2:09 PM   #2

Start at http://www.photocourse.com/ It's a free online "book" on the basics...you will find a lot of familiar things like shutter speed, f-stop, ISO, etc. Also check out the library for books on digital photography.

As for what camera you may want to start with, all depends on your abilities, whether you buy a point&shoot pocket, one with more advanced settings where you can override everything, or a dSLR.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2003, 7:10 PM   #3

I'd suggest first learning how to use a photo editor. One of the dirty secrets of digital is that you have to do your own "darkroom" work. Get a few rolls of your shots put onto a CD - that is fairly cheap when done when the film is processed.

Once you have figured out how to use a photo editor, you will have a much better idea of what you want in a digicam and you will be ready to use it. The prices will have come down as well.

I hear alglanz asking, "Which photo editor?" Start out with whatever you have - likely something came with your printer/scanner/fax/OS/computer/... Also download IrfanView - not a photo editor, but a good set of utilities as well as a thumbnail viewer.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2003, 7:17 AM   #4

Thanks to Bill Drew and Mike for your suggestions. Good ideas. I will look into this. Much appreciate your help. AlGlanz.
alglanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2003, 5:01 PM   #5

I agree - editing is the "hard" part of digital photography. Taking digital shots is not difficult to learn because of the instant feedback you get in being able to review the photo. Most people who make the jump to digital figure out how to use the camera quickly. Their photography skills improve just as fast because they get to see what they did right and what doesn't work. Editing and printing requires more time - I'm still learning new features of Photo Shop Elements six months after installing the software. I hope this helps. Best - john
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2003, 5:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fporch
I agree - editing is the "hard" part of digital photography. Taking digital shots is not difficult to learn because of the instant feedback you get in being able to review the photo.
Nah, I find editing easy. It's getting good shots in the first place that's hard. As they say, garbage in - garbage out! Meaning that no editing can save a really bad photo. Here's an example of my work:

http://www.pbase.com/mikefellh/photo_editing
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2003, 5:14 PM   #7

Mike I agree

You can not make a bad pic better even with good editing software. However, the digital lets you take many pics with the instant feedback as stated early in the thread. You just delete those ugly shots and shoot again.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote