Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:50 PM   #1
Yno

I have been a film SLR user since I bought my Minolta SRT-101 a lifetime ago. A few years back, I got tired of carrying around a bag of "stuff", and switched to P&S digital cameras. I have decided to get back into the swing of things, so I bought a Maxxum 5D, since I have a small collection of compatible lenses. As an avid reader, I like to get books on any new interests I have. Can you suggest some books that would be good reading and informative, without being too basic? I could use a bit of a refresher course, but I don't want to start at ground zero.

By the way, in two days on this forum, I have already solved a couple of "new" mysteries. Lots of great information here!!!

Edit: Can I correct stupid spelling errors in the thread title? Or maybe a friendly moderator could help me.......

Yno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2006, 7:57 AM   #2

I suggest "Great Photography Workshop" by Bill Fortney. It is slanted to nature photography which may not be your interest. Another alternative is "People in Focus" by Bryan Peterson if that is your main interest.
dtrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 9:19 AM   #3

Are you looking for a photography book or a digial book?
Digital photography is very similar to film photography in many ways. So any good book on photography will get you off the ground.

National Geographic has a series that I've heard good things about, and they cover all kinds of things. Portrate, nature, macro, and many more.

What type of photography were you thinking of doing?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 8:19 PM   #4
Yno

I do a lot of camping and hiking, so outdoor stuff, landscapes, etc. would be highest on the list. General people shots are important, not necessarily portraits, but more interesting than "Stand here in front of the Washington Monument" type stuff. I don't want to do anything so artsy that no one recognizes the subject matter.

Maybe I will hang out on the post your photos forum and get some better ideas before I buy any books. I might take a couple of classes, too, and see where that leads.
Yno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 9:02 AM   #5

I have read: Complete Digital Photography,3rd edition by Ben Long,
Digital Landscape Photography step by step by Michelle Perkins
Digital Nature Photography closeup by Jon Cox,Digital Wildlife Photography by Chris Weston, all are good and offer very good info and techniques:?
nick1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 3:50 PM   #6

On the post processing side, I think that any of the books that Scott Kelby has written for digital photographers that cover the use of Photoshop or Photoshop Elements are worth the read. The material focuses on techniques that address questions that photographers ask him about the most rather than going into graphic arts stuff.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 4:52 PM   #7

Real World Digital Photography
by Katrin Eismann, Sean Duggan, and Tim Grey

Is a great book for beginner through serious amatuer. Covers just about everything with great illustrations.
101Linda is offline   Reply With Quote