Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 30, 2003, 5:50 AM   #1

Default Fuji s602 v Minolta 7i v Sony Fc717 v Nikon 5700 whats best?

Hey anyone who can please help:
I'm looking at getting me new camera and damn it theres so many choices!!!! Ok i've basically decided on the list below and just looking for some feedback from people for which camera is best in overall package, value for money, best picture quality, best battery life, best controls and ease of use categories.

I'm am basically a keen point and shoot photographer who wants to do more though with a real nice camera. Being new at this i thought people who have bought one of the cameras or knows something about em could hellp with some feed back to help my decision!! The List:

- Fuji Finepix S602 Zoom
- Minolta Dimage 7i (better then the 7?? and better cost than the 7hi)
- Sony Fc717 (not too sure how good this is?)
- Nikon Coolpix 5700 (is this behind the others?)
- Canon G3
- Canon S50 (basically a cheaper G3?? but just as good?)

Also i'm not too sure on whether batter packs or AA's are better? Anyone have any thoughts?? OK hope someone can be of some help!! That would be really nice!
shnobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2003, 9:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnobble
Also i'm not too sure on whether batter packs or AA's are better? Anyone have any thoughts?? OK hope someone can be of some help!! That would be really nice!
Well, I like AA NiMH rechargeables better for many reasons. First of they're cheap (I can buy 3 or 4 sets of 4AA NiMHs for the cost of one battery back). If I'm shooting in the wild, that means I always have a backup set with me. In an emergency if all my NiMH AAs are dead I can just go into a store and buy a set of Alkalines (again just for emergency). With many AA cameras you can buy a non-rechargeable Lithium battery which is good for cold weather shooting (batteries don't like cold).

Some people like Lithium-ion batteries packs...problem is the camera makers overcharge you for them.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2003, 11:11 AM   #3

I just hate when people ask a simple question like this.LOL Which of the cameras on this list should i buy? The best thing i can tell you is to take that list to a camera store.Ask to see each one and hold the unit.See if you can take a test pix in the store.You might try to line up the ones on your list side by side.(some of these are bigger than others) Some will have more usable things that you want and some wont. I think the price will not be the same on all of them. Of the ones on your list i think all are very good and iam sure people here will tell you this. Take your time and DONT RUSH in to it. Tealblue
tealblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2003, 11:35 AM   #4

Yes, that's why I avoided the question and just answered the part about the batteries!

There's a wide variety of cameras there, and telling you which camera to buy is like if someone wanted to know which vehicle they should buy and they had a list from a little Mazda Miata, 4-door sedan/saloon, SUV, minivan, to a full sized van...which one you should buy all depends on your needs and wants, and in the case of photography abilities because someone who only used point&shoot cameras won't be happy with one that you have to set everything.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2003, 5:27 PM   #5

Ok thanks guys but i wasn't asking for anyone to pick one for me, sorry if my post seemed that way. I was just wondering if anyone that owned a camera in list and used it and could tell me some pros and cons so i can weigh it up with other pros and cons of the other cameras. Cause i've been into stores and looked at the cameras so I have particular ones I like in the list, but the others also seemed good so i was just looking for some pros and cons of cameras from actual people that use them! Thanx though for the battery pack info, me - i like the lasting power of lithium packs but hate the price and the fact that backups are annoying and expensive to get. But i think the camera and lens package will help me decide which one, and the battery will just whichever goes with the camera I like.
shnobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2003, 7:34 PM   #6

Hi shnobble

Welcome to this forum, a great reservoir of information
on digital photography.

One option you might consider, is a digipower DPS900
rechargeable Lithium battery.

Look here to take a look at it:

http://www.mizco.com/DPS-9000.htm

The really nice thing is that it comes with four cables
for just about every digital camera out there so regardless
of what camera you purchase now (or later), it should
work with it.

It screws into the base of your camera AND battery below
can still be attached to your tripod.

Just something to think about....

Best Buy had them as a clearance item for $21.99 a while
back but I am sure they are long gone now....

Good luck
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote