Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 4, 2006, 6:14 PM   #1

I am looking at switching from 35mm to digital, I am looking for a super zoom camera, and have nailed it down to a few choices. I would like to purchase one through something like pricegrabber ect. but I am finding that many donot ship to Canada, except the higher priced "stores", any suggestions of who I should be looking at?
dannystraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2006, 6:33 PM   #2

Try Henry's Camera, based out of Toronto. Their selection is huge and their service is quick and reliable. Also, if you live outside of Ontario there is no provincial sales tax. Their web site is

http://www.henrys.com

dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 6:46 PM   #3

thank you, but i am looking for USA dealers, as the price is much lower, for example the FZ30 is 450. US and the price is Canada is 800., by the way i live in Ontario. thanks again.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 8:12 PM   #4
Administrator

Try http://www.bhphotovideo.com

B&H ships to Canada and is a very reputable dealer with fair prices.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 9:29 PM   #5

One thing to be careful of is the warranty. I nearly bought my FZ30 out of the US, but after talking to some people at Panasonic Canada, well let me tell you I don't really like the idea of having to ship my camera out to Panasonic US and wait to get it fixed, rather than deal with a depot around here (Southern Ontario). There are some cheaper ones in Canada, Aden Camera 799.99 I think for the FZ30, and even a few out in Alberta (no PST!).

polar905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 10:27 PM   #6

I am sure I must be missing something, I looked at B&h and there price is about 550., they have a 5 star rated, but I see other dealers with 5 star ratings that are selling for about 470. eg. buydig.com,beach camera,abes of maine and others, can anybody explain? By the way, I have dealt with B&H for my 35mm and they are good, thanks.
Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:24 AM   #7
Administrator

dannystraus wrote:
Quote:
I am sure I must be missing something, I looked at B&h and there price is about 550., they have a 5 star rated, but I see other dealers with 5 star ratings that are selling for about 470. eg. buydig.com,beach camera,abes of maine and others, can anybody explain?
You'll see the prices flucuate very often, even on the same items from the same vendors.

If I want to save a few bucks, I'll look at buydig.com (a.k.a., beachcamera.com, as they are one in the same except the storefront is beach).

They're the lowest price dealer I'd do business with. Some of the rest will try to get you to buy extras, etc.

But, smaller dealers like this are usually just drop shipping from the distributors (and most internet vendors don't really stock anything at all, as the distributors just include customized packing slips,etc. to make it look like the products came from the vendor you ordered from).

They also have a restocking fee you decide something isn't suitable for your purposes.

B&H has a no restocking fee policy for 7 days on digital (longer on non-digital lenses, cameras and more). See their online policies for restrictions.

I'd rather have a large dealer that doesn't drop ship from distributors and has their own stock if the price is close between dealers. They also have good customer service when you have problems, and you pay a bit extra to get that on some items.

But, if you look at things like name brand accessories (for example, Lexar 80X WA and Sandisk Ultra II or Extreme III memory cards versus the no name accessories you often see at vendors like Beach Camera/Buydig, you typically make up some of that difference because they have fair prices on everything.

The lowest priced dealers on the camera bodies are probably making their profit on the packages with no name accessories if I had to guess.

Some of the lower priced dealers are also scam artists (so be careful). Always check a vendor out using http://www.resellerratings.com , instead of relying on the feedback in most other price search engines.

Yep.. I'd go Beach/Buydig if I was postive I would be happy with a product, and wanted to save a few bucks, depending on the shipping hassles to split up orders (since I wouldn't want the no name memory cards they offer and they tend to be high on the better ones).

Also, you can' t judge card peformance by vendor ratings alone, as one with the same rating may be a lot faser than another because of the way it interfaces with a given camera.

So, I would probaby order name brand cards using the latest technology from somewhere else to get better prices if I needed them.

I don't know if they ship to Canada or not.

B&H tends to have a more even price structure (fair on the items they offer, versus trying to use a camera body as a "loss leader" (or low profit item).

They don't try to make it up by charigng more on other stuff, and stay with fair pricing across the board.

The guys selling the bodies for less have to make it up somewhere to make a profit. ;-) Compare prices on name brand memory cards (Sandisk Ultra II, Exreme III; Lexar faster cards) and accessories and you'll see what I mean.

17th Street Photo is another good vendor with a good return policy. I don't know if they ship to Canada or not.

Here are a few prices I see for the FZ30:

http://www50.shopping.com/xPC-Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_FZ30~S-P~OR-0

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 1:08 AM   #8

thanks jim that was great!
Old Mar 5, 2006, 7:06 AM   #9

Do not forget that if you ship in from the US you will still pay both sales taxes here in Canada on the item plus a brokerage fee for it coming over the border so sometimes the Canadian price is not much different when everything is added up.

Geoff
limeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 3:02 PM   #10

UPS seems to be the biggest brokerage charger, I bought something online, from the us, and shipping was 39 bucks, so you think yeah great deal, and then the brokerage was 59...so... just becareful.

I have bought stuff from b=h photo and was extremely pleased with the charge ( while I don't remember what it was) it was real fast. And even faster than them was 41st photo out of newyork. I found them through ebay, but my camera case, was shipped overnight it seemed (ordered after hours sunday night, it got here tuesday morning) for like 50 total. That was awesome..... they used fedex

anyhow, that is my 5 cents!!
dashboardgyno is offline   Reply With Quote