Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 7, 2006, 3:10 PM   #1

I'm looking for a book that can teach me alot about how to use a DSLR, as there is no one I know that lives around me who can help me learn.Thanks!
Straylightrun00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2006, 3:18 PM   #2

I went onto Amzon and searched the books category for Digital SLR and came up with 18 titles. I've not read any myself so I can't make a recommendation but a couple have very positive customer reviews.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 9:47 PM   #3

If you want to learn how to use a paritical model or so that can be kinda hard unless if you have a canon or so. I've seen books where they teach you all the tweeks and how to for the canon camera.

If you want a book that teach you how to use a dSLR then you will be limiting yourself. I think you should find a book on photography instead and learn the basics of it. It dont have to be a "digital photography" book, it can be any photography book since the basic concept is the same like the shutter speed, aparture, framing and stuff like that.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/079...Fencoding=UTF8
This is one of the best books that I've read so far about photography. I am teaching myself and I've bough many books about it and most of them are almost the same. But the national geographic guild to photography is the best one that I've got so far. This is outdated but a lot of the concept can be applied to digital photography too. They have an updated version of this but it cost a lot more. I think about $25 or so Right now this book goes for about $10 used, I bought mine from amazon for about $5 shipped used.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:14 PM   #4

If you already have a DSLR, the "Magic Lantern" line of books (for your particular model) , are good learning tools.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 11:26 PM   #5
rey

For DSLR books, the suggestion about finding one for your specific camera is correct. No need to learn Canon menus when you have a Nikon, etc.

You should also check out your local library.

I went to mine, and grabbed 15 books about photography. Most are old and from the film-era, but a lot of it still applies. I found books by, and about Ansel Adams, visual practice books, books on landscape, portrait, lenses, colors, lighting, etc.

Another thing I do is just go to the bookstore and look for them yourself. Your taste and requirements will differ from others.

Good Luck!

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 8:32 AM   #6

Tom Ang has written some good books that focus specifically on digital photography. Bryan Peterson and John Hedgecoe have also written some good books on general and digital photography.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 1:52 PM   #7

I also like these: http://www.shortcourses.com/

pclements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 5:22 PM   #8
rey

If you're getting a Nikon DSLR, I've read good reviews of ebooks by Thom Hogan http://www.bythom.com I'm actually considering his D50 eBook since I just bought that camera.

Of course, there's also these which I found at the front page of Steve's Digicams, although I didn't see an eBook for the D50.

But a good starter website is this, from Canon:
http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/enjoydslr/index.html

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 5:08 PM   #9

Any books on Canon 30D on how best to use it?

How about book ondigital workflow to work with the raw files?
harana is offline   Reply With Quote