Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 6, 2002, 2:17 PM   #1

Default Yet Another "which camera" question

I've been doing a lot of research and it seems I keep going around in circles. I currently have a Nikon Coolpix 775 and am looking to upgrade for the following reasons:

0. I'm really developing an interest in photography and want more control than a traditional point-and-shoot.
1. Poor zoom
2. Difficulty taking actions shots because of AF and shutter lag
3. Poor low light/flash pictures

The things I like about the camera are:
1. The color in well lit conditions
2. Small size (e.g. I'll actually bring it with me)
3. The 2mp resolution is actually plenty for me. I don't print out many photos and the ones I have printed are good enough for me to put on my desk at work.

So here's what I've been looking at and why. I've taken a lot of input from this forum on specific cameras. I guess I'm hoping for a few people who have used more than one of these cameras to make comparisons for me.

The cameras that have been consistently in the running are: Fujifilm S602, Olympus C720, Minolta 7i. The Olympus 2100 has also received some serious consideration because of my sports photography interest and the avid recommendations from this group.

thanks in advance,

gary

[Edited on 7-6-2002 by devnull]
devnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2002, 3:48 PM   #2

You have to consider everything and make your own decision. One point to remember. The 2100UZ is a fine camera, but you have to consider resolution as part of the zoom. At the 2100UZ resolution of 1600X1200, the 7i has a 28mm to 320mm zoom range as compared to the 38mm to 380mm range of the 2100UZ.

Jim
JimHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2002, 11:21 AM   #3
lg

I've had a C2100 for a while now, and I've really enjoyed the ability to hand hold fully zoomed shots without blur, even at low shutter speeds. My experience has been that it takes properly exposed shots that are very clear virtually all of the time. As for action shots, it'll take about 2 frames/sec up to 5 frames at 1600x1200, or up to your memory card's capacity at 640x480. I've been very pleased with the action shots I've gotten, but if you need the fastest camera, check out Olympus' E100RS-- for about $200 more it'll do 15 frames/sec.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2002, 6:28 PM   #4

Thanks, both of you. As I've done more talking to people, I've found out exactly what Jim said:

High resolution gives you the ability to crop and blow up small areas effectively giving you more zoom for print sizes that can tolerate having less pixels.

gary
devnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2002, 3:58 AM   #5

http://www.activebuyersguide.com/
hasato is offline   Reply With Quote