Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 1, 2003, 9:57 AM   #1

Default Digital cameras and sunlight

When I try to take a picture of a sunrise or sunset everything comes out except the sun. How come? This is probably on old question but I still don't know the answer!
Ben Poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2003, 10:23 AM   #2

There are better sun experts than me, but this must be a problem with exposure metering and what your metering is set to. If auto centre then you may get a perfectly exposed sun but everything else might be black!

I'm guessing but suspect a bit of exposure bracketing or manual is needed here - take 20 pics and pick the best!. This might be the best argument for using one of those graduated neutral density sky filters, to improve the cams limited dynamic range.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2003, 10:43 AM   #3

Suggest you go into Google.com and type in DIGITAL CAMERA SUNSET to get sites like this:

"Digital Camera How-To: The Secrets of Shooting Sunsets"
http://www.creativepro.com/story/fea...l?origin=story

You didn't mention what camera you have, and that can make a difference as many cameras don't allow you to change settings, do Bracketing (which is a great thing to do when taking sun pictures), etc.

Of course I should post the warning about pointing your camera at the sun!
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2003, 12:05 PM   #4
NHL

Quote:
When I try to take a picture of a sunrise or sunset everything comes out except the sun. How come? This is probably on old question but I still don't know the answer!
Depending on your camera, (I don't know what you have): In the manual mode, the LCD is usually What You See Is What You Get. ie put the camera in manual and increase the shutter speed and/or decrease the aperture until what you see on the rear LCD is acceptable to your taste and hit the shutter release! 8)

On some camera, this WYSIWYG mode is built right in to the EVF in the manual mode... :P

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2003, 2:02 PM   #5

Default Suggestions

The Nikon 775 has a specific setting for sunsets. My wife uses it all the time as she could care less about aperature, shutter speeds or the like. She gets great pictures. My preferance is my Sony 717 and I often open up the aperature all the way to capture twilight colors. If you are north of the 45th parallel in June the twilight before and after sunrise and sunset have great color. Sunriise usually gives clearer color and at times if you are near water a mist effect.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2003, 2:41 PM   #6
NHL

BTW the WYSIWYG mode works with the moon as well... Try it sometime: :lol:

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...t=5392&start=0
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote