Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 11, 2006, 3:39 PM   #1

i been wondering for some time if ther some way to convert files to adobe rgb if you have jpg or raw and are only working with photoshop elements 4.0 . can this be done?
Andre_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2006, 9:08 PM   #2
DBB

Andre_L wrote:
Quote:
i been wondering for some time if ther some way to convert files to adobe rgb if you have jpg or raw and are only working with photoshop elements 4.0 . can this be done?
I don't know if it can be done in that program, but it would not be of much advantage. While Adobe RGB has a greater color spectrum, you are not going to be adding colors to an existing file from a different color space.

To take advantage of Adobe RGB, you should be shooting in Adobe RGB.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 10:01 PM   #3

Technically DBB is not correct.
If you do a modification to an image (like adjust contrast, or shift the colors with a filter) with PhotoShop elements, you could change a color into a color which is in Adobe RGB but not in the color space it was in before (probably sRGB.) Now, this isn't exactly likely, but it could happen.

But to answer your question... I don't know the answer. Last I knew (in earlier version of Elements) you had no control over Color Space changes. But I have no experience with Elements 4.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 10:10 PM   #4
DBB

eric s wrote:
Quote:
Technically DBB is not correct.
If you do a modification to an image (like adjust contrast, or shift the colors with a filter) with PhotoShop elements, you could change a color into a color which is in Adobe RGB but not in the color space it was in before (probably sRGB.) Now, this isn't exactly likely, but it could happen.

But to answer your question... I don't know the answer. Last I knew (in earlier version of Elements) you had no control over Color Space changes. But I have no experience with Elements 4.

Eric
LOL - Actually DBB IS correct. DBB, if you check said:

"but it would not be of much advantage"

Which more or less corresponds to: "Now, this isn't exactly likely."

Dave:G
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 8:12 PM   #5

Andre;

I have Elements 3 and don't know if this has changed in v.4, but using EDIT>COLOR CONTROLS, I get three selections: No Color Management - Limited Color Management (uses sRGB working space) and Full Color Management (uses Adobe RGB color space)

With an image open, the difference in color will show up in the active image when any of these is selected. If you do a 'save as-' the selected color space will be included with the image saved. If you just open and close the image, of course it will not change. Not sure how it works just using 'save', but suspect the change is included.

The difference in color is to some peoples' liking, giving stronger reds and greens. It adds an orange cast to the picture which a lot of people seem to prefer for skin tones. Much like a warming filter.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote