Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 27, 2006, 2:18 PM   #21

cameta are are good on their word.

though, one should be careful of the extra kit goodies that come with some cameras. as someone posted eralier, most of the accessories that come with the camera are no-name and low quality. that happened to me when i got my panny fz30 from cameta. the bag they sent with the camera is a disgrace.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 7:47 AM   #22

FedEx has a service called International Priority, which is double priced but clear out custom duties, somehow..

The procedure of the customs varies in one country to another. However, the best way is to marked the item as "GIFT" and declare a price lower than the exempted value that is stated by the customs in your country. (For example in Turkey, only goods cost higher than 100€ are due to custom tax. You can deal with the seller about it)

Of course, it's never 100% safe; sometimes the customs officers just want to check a random box among the ones below 100€ and this can be yours! :?

Using USPS instead of private couriers (i.e.DHL, UPS, TNT) is always better for not to be caught in the customs. National Post Service carries lots of packages and boxes, while private ones do much less; which means a higher possibility to be checked by officer.

Whatever it is, do not forget, there's always risk for taxes if you are having an item sent out of your tax-free zone.

Please notice; all these I told here may be illegal in some countries and I don't take any responsibility for further problems.

- Mert
iason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 3:15 AM   #23

update: i just received my camera from ebay auction, everything went fine and camera arrived in A1 condition.

however, they forgot to send a tax receipt with it, and i found that the camera they sent was a USA version so warranty was not validin Australia, even though they told me it has 12 month warranty. However, I contacted them and they promptly sent me receipt and said that they deal with warranty services inhouse and still have 12 month warrantywhich they will deal with =) plus I got my camera for AU$300 cheaper than retail so I am happy
wisely_foolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 8:50 AM   #24

Took two days to get from HK to Australia, saved about 300 (30D). I have used people with lots of negatives and havent had any problems, I think a lot of it has to do with people not providing the proper details and not finishing the checkout.
Thaipo Negative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 9:14 AM   #25

yeah, one can't go wrong with big sellers with thousands or more positive feedback.

p.s. Type O Negative kicks ass!
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 2:51 PM   #26

I bought a used 1Ds from eBay last year. I checked out the seller thoroughly first and never had any problems. The camera was exactly as described.

I recently sold it on eBay and have had no trouble with the buyer.
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote