Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 3, 2003, 10:16 AM   #11

Default Stillmore

Scopetronix.com/ has some nice set ups for digitscoping birds. Some are not all that expensive. You might want to check them out?
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2003, 10:39 AM   #12

Thanks for the suggestions, very helpful with all the info out there!. Another opinion required: :shock: Is an optical viewfinder a lot easier to use when composing a shot? (bear in mind she has been using a 35mm up till now) and should this play a part in the choice of camera? Will all digicams eventually have EVF's?
AJHeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2003, 10:41 AM   #13
lg

I'd go with the C-2100/b-300 combination. For the price, it can't be beat for best quality long telephoto close-ups.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2003, 11:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJHeiner
Is an optical viewfinder a lot easier to use when composing a shot? (bear in mind she has been using a 35mm up till now) and should this play a part in the choice of camera? Will all digicams eventually have EVF's?
I personally avoid cameras with optical viewfinders and bought one with an EVF because I didn't want to deal with parallax errors...you see about 90-96% of the picture in an optical viewfinder, but if your eye isn't centred you might be seeing head and chest in the viewfinder and the camera shoots chest and waist off to one side (yes, that's an extreme example).

Will all digicams have EVFs? No...people out there still want cheaper cameras and don't want to foot the bill for a good one. Also some people don't like the power the EVF wastes (so instead they use the large LCD on their optical viewfinder cameras which wastes more power).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2003, 6:53 PM   #15

Default YUP

You touched on a basic subject. The best way to judge a viewfinder is get your hands on the camera you want to buy and go outside. If the camera does not have a good selection of buttons for settings that means you will have to be able to see menues to make changes. Also the viewfinder should have enough resolution to derermine a good manual focus. If the camera you are interested in can not do these operations then all the other features do not really mean all that much. And remember for a lot of nature shots you have to be quick.
Old Apr 3, 2003, 7:07 PM   #16

Default Almost forgot.

One of the cameras I wish I owned for bird photos is the Olympus E-100RS. Unfortunately is no longer in production but you might find one on e-bay. With a 10x zoom plus stabilization and zero shutter lag it is the fastest camera out there. True it has only 1.5 pixels but take a look at the pictures. It can freeze a base ball in flight.
Old Apr 3, 2003, 7:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
Why has no one s****ted the Canon 10D? It fits just within the price range and will let her use all those lenses she already has and work for her. At reputable places is $1,500, if you really look around you can find it for about $100 less at place which are not a rip off (like Dell.)

On the plus side, it has all the controls she knows from an SLR, magnifies the lens length by 1.6x (longer zooms are good for reaching out and getting that animal), takes very nice picutres with low noise.... Fits the other listed criteria listed in her post too.

The downsides are that the camera is a little new and so Canon's quality control seems to have been reduced to allow them to ship more cameras. It also has a 1.6x lens magnification, which means that wide angle lenses are not wide angle any more (landscapes become harder.) And, well... it's lots of money (but within the range.)
The 10D itself does not allow for power zoom use. All that depends on the lens that is mounted to it. Such lens can cost you $600+ easily. I have such lens for my Canon AE-1 35mm film SLR.

The price of $1499.99 for the 10D is only the price for the body, no lens. You would need at least to spend another $300 for the cheapest EF, IS,UMC , 50mm lens for it. Thats just a standard lens, no zooming or macros even.

So the best digicams for sports and birdwatching and with no highly expense on high performance lens are the C-2100, E-100, FZ1, and pretty much any digicams with at least 8x zoom already built-in.

I still would recommend the C-2100. Has been proven time and time again to really perform best for such situations.
gmlasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2003, 8:11 PM   #18

gmlasam

I agree, the 10D is only a body. But the original post specifically says that they already own a Canon 500 EOS SLR. That camera body has an EF lens mount, based on this link:
http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/c...os-kiss_s.html

That means that all the lenses they currently successfully use to take pictures will work with the 10D. So while I agree that lenses which are fast enough (and powerful enough) for bird photography are expensive ($1,300 - $6,000 USD), I believe it is safe to assume that they are happy with the lenses they have now. Especially if they are able to enter them into photography contests.

I would also put forward that they are probably used to using cameras that have the flexibility of replaceable lenses (assuming they have more than one lens already) and are used to the SLR body in handling and feel.

I want to be clear about this sentence:
Quote:
So the best digicams for sports and birdwatching and with no highly expense on high performance lens are the C-2100, E-100, FZ1, and pretty much any digicams with at least 8x zoom already built-in.
You either meant that the word "best" applies to "digicams for sports and birdwatching and with no highly expense on high performance lens" and then I might agree with you. I personally know very little about the E-100 or the FZ1. But if you meant "best" to apply to "digicams for sports and birdwatching" and the clause about not having expensive lenses is a separate bonus I would completely disagree. Most serious bird photographers use 300mm or 400mm f4 lenses minimum. Not many digital cameras without removable lenses can do that. Especially not at f4.

and your closing statement:
Quote:
I still would recommend the C-2100. Has been proven time and time again to really perform best for such situations.
Unless you mean "with minimal cost" this is most certainly a false statement. The C-2100 is not the "best" digital camera for bird photography. It is a very good one, and for the price it will do a good job (especially if you accept the limitations of a Teleconverter.) But since the 10D is at the upper limit of their acceptable price range and it works with their lenses the 10D would work as well if not better than the C-2100.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2003, 9:33 PM   #19

Take a look at the past few "Photos of the Day" here on this site... there have been a few taken with the Oly 2100UZ. I'll admit it's not as great a camera as the new DSLRs but it's a lot of bang for the buck, especially with the addition of the B-300 or TCON-17 teleconverter.

Also look at the Canon Pro90 that shares that great 37-370mm stabilized lens.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2003, 5:45 AM   #20

Default Wonderful

This has been a wonderful discussion...I've enjoyed it!