Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 4, 2003, 12:22 PM   #21

Wildman

I didn't realize that the Canon Pro90 has that long a zoom lens. Very nice in deed. I might have to look at a review of it... Humm...

As to the 2100UZ, for it's cost and age, it is a very nice camera. I've got a friend who has it and likes it very much. I don't recommend against it, but instead suggest something even better, if you can aford it. If you can accept its limitations, it will do the job well.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2003, 7:02 PM   #22

Eric S....

The Canon Pro90 has the same lens as the Oly 200uz (the "Uzi") but the camera is a little more refined than the Uzi. The Canon has a hot shoe, is CF and microdrive capable and uses the Canon RAW format as well as JPG. It has the standard 3.1 megapixel sensor masked to 2.6 megapixels. There are fewer of these cameras around, but they're still available on the web.

The lens in these cameras is a remarkable piece of equipment. I've used the Pro90 for a year and a half and have never regretted buying it. I just ordered an Oly TCON-17 telephoto adapter that will bring me up to over 620mm equivalent.

Look for this one.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2003, 4:36 PM   #23
lg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJHeiner
Thanks for the suggestions, very helpful with all the info out there!. Another opinion required: :shock: Is an optical viewfinder a lot easier to use when composing a shot? (bear in mind she has been using a 35mm up till now) and should this play a part in the choice of camera? Will all digicams eventually have EVF's?
An optical viewfinder is by far clearer than an EVF for non-zoomed shots. Unfortunately, it doesn't allow you to see what the lens sees when it is fully zoomed in. At 300mm+ for birdwatching, I don't think you'll be pleased with an optical viewfinder. For composing shots, the EVF is, in my opinion, far superior to an optical viewfinder. The resolution on my camera is quite adequate for composing shots.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2003, 8:07 AM   #24

Default Thanks and editing suggestions please...

Thanks for the advice. I think we will wait until the new Olympus is out in May and then do a comparison in store. She can start practicing with the tripod for now. In the meantime, which software do you suggest for ease-of-use. We still have a very early photoshop but it seems to lack a lot of the features that are being discussed these days eg. a good sharpening tool.
AJHeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2003, 6:46 AM   #25

Default Re: Thanks and editing suggestions please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJHeiner
In the meantime, which software do you suggest for ease-of-use. We still have a very early photoshop but it seems to lack a lot of the features that are being discussed these days eg. a good sharpening tool.
Check the thread on the low cost alternative to Photoshop, http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8683

If you used the old Photoshop a lot, then you may want to get the latest version or maybe the cheaper Photoshop Elements.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote