Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 2, 2003, 8:59 AM   #1

Default IMAGE STORING DEVICE AND FIXED MEMORY CAMERA ?

Hi everybody.

I have a question about compatibility : is there an image storing device that allows to transfer images from a camera with fixed internal memory ? (I intend to buy the Gsmart mini 3 from mustek : http://www.mustek.com/html/prod_camra/gsmartmini3.html

Or is there a way to transfer these photos somewhere else than a computer through the USB port ?

Thanks to help me because I am not familar with digital cameras.

Kris
France
megalucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2003, 9:46 AM   #2

No, these type of cameras (cheapies) only allow you to transfer files to a computer...after transferred to a computer you can then transfer those pictures to a storage device, but that would be useless.

Also you can't hook up a USB storage device directly to a USB camera because both devices are slave devices...they need a master device (computer) to transfer info.

Just a note some of these less expensive cameras have their own propritary file format, which needs the camera's own software to transfer the pictures to a format viewable on the computer (the JamCam was like this, even if you had the external MMC memory card).

BTW, hope you don't think that this is a high quality camera...Mustek isn't known for its cameras.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2003, 9:54 AM   #3

Default I see

Ok Mike thanks for your answer.

In this case maybe you could advise me : I am looking for a pocket digital camera. So which model with memory card could you advise me ?

Thanks

Kris
Old Apr 2, 2003, 9:32 PM   #4

Default Re: I see

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalucca
I am looking for a pocket digital camera. So which model with memory card could you advise me ?
You've got to set down some ideas for what you want in a camera before anyone can really give advice.

Cost: The mini3 goes for 90 dollars. At that price you may be limitting yourself to older or used models of "normal" digicams.

Resolution: The mini3 claims 3 megapixels, but that is through software enhancement. Actual resolution is 2 megapixels. Not too bad, but...

Memory: The mini3 has only 16Mb of memory. That is not enough to really get any enjoyment out of a digicam. Even if the pictures were compressed to about 300kb apiece, you'd only get about 50 pictures out of the guy. Better than a film camera, for sure, but with the film you can always swap in another roll. No such luck with the mini3.

Features: The mini3 has only the most basic featureset. It's obviously made for people who want to switch from point and shoot film cameras to a point and shoot digicam for a low price. You will find no problem getting the same features in run-of-the-mill digicams.

The main limitting factor here is cost. How much are you willing to rise above the $90 price tag of the Mustek?

Here's a quick search I did on bizrate (it was a sponsored link in Google, I thought I'd be lazy).
http://www.bizrate.com/buy/products_...e_id--300.html

For about twice the price you can get a pretty decent digital camera that will let you use larger memory cards and have more features than the camera you were originally looking at.

As far as memory cards go, you don't really have to worry about that kind of thing. All memory is easy to come by and relatively cheap. Sony's Memorystick is probably at the high end of the price spectrum and SmartMedia is at the low end. If you can swap the memory card out of the camera at all, you're doing fine.
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2003, 9:39 PM   #5

The Sony DSC-U20 is truly an excellent pocket digital camera. I never leave home with out it.

As with most Sony cameras, it uses Memory Stick cards which are readily available at most electronic outlets and are sourced by Sandisk and Lexar as well as Sony itself. Most "Digital Wallet" type portable storage devices support MS cards.

See Steve's review article:http: //www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/sony_u20.html
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2003, 4:20 AM   #6

As Lauren said, for $90 you're not going to get a lot of camera. For instance, the macro (closeup) on the Mustek is 40-65cm, many cameras can do 8cm and some as close as 2cm. The Mustek only has an LCD status window (you won't be able to preview pictures to see if you got the shot you wanted, or if it was a lousy picture), fixed focus (except for normal/macro), no zoom, no manual controls, it really is a point and shoot.

Regarding the estimate for the number of pictures Lauren made, I found the number a little high as cheap digitals don't use much compression...I'd say you'd be able to take about 14 1600x1200 pictures (with my camera on the same setting with the 128meg card, I can take 114 fine and 228 with higher compression).

One last thing about the Mustek, it uses a cheaper CMOS sensor to take the picture...most of the digitals use the better CCD sensor. My $50 JamCam used a CMOS sensor, and it was awful in low light (tons of noise, streaks, etc.).

It's an OK camera for outdoor shooting, kids to play with, etc. but you won't be happy with it. You may be happy with it for a few months, but soon you will be cursing yourself for spending the money on it because of all the pictures you took that turned out bad. I only stuck with my $50 JamCam a few months but then again I got it for free...I replaced it with a $600 digital.
Old Apr 3, 2003, 5:28 AM   #7

If you want an entry level, inexpensive and compact camera, you would be hard pressed to beat the Olympus D520. It is $186 at www.buydig.com and is 2MP with 3X optical zoom. Here's a link to the Olympus site: http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...=1&product=857
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2003, 5:36 AM   #8

Default Finally...

Thanks to everybody for your advices.
I finally decided to buy the Gsmart mini 3. For this cheap price I don t take a big risk. And I need it for its small size, for outdoor photos (actually I want to take it with me for snowboard photos).
I will tell you my opinion about it, and post photos if you want to see the quality.

Kris
Old Apr 3, 2003, 7:15 AM   #9

:shock: :roll: