Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 2, 2003, 10:21 AM   #1

Default are all cf cards created equal ?

I need additional cf cards for my hungry 1Ds, the 256 just won"t hold enough for events. Should I buy additional 256's and waht brand, or jumpo into the 1gb range. I shoot approx. 150 to 200 photos for weddings and other events. I now have to continuiously have to dump unwanted pic's. Jsut wondering what everyone thought? :?:
cucster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2003, 10:24 AM   #2

My experience with CF cards comes from PDAs, and the larger the card the longer reading and writing takes when it fills up...more capacity will mean longer writes as it fills up.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2003, 10:40 AM   #3
NHL

I use mainly 1G microdrives and large CF cards, and definitely do not see any slow down... 8)

Their price are incredibly cheap now, and just not to worry about running out of film is definetly a positive feeling beside allowing one to shoot more than one would otherwise (or the shots missed while swapping cards).
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2003, 10:52 AM   #4

you only have a 256MB for that card chomper?

your xfr bus max's out at about 1.9MB camera to card. but that isn't the real issue.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-6010

if your shooting weddings you should be shooting RAW or at least the highest jpg res for your key shots. depending on what the final image size would be.

shooting RAW on your camera will produce 80-90 images on a 1GB card depending on the subject and lighting.

in theory anything above a 12x card(150Kx12=1.8MB/s) should do the trick. your choice of combinations. i would have at least 3 cards.
i currently own:
1 delkin pro 512MB
1 delkin pro 640MB
1 lexar pro 32x 1GB
1 1GB Microdrive

delkin and lexar provide the best service and offer recovery if you can't do it yourself. a lifetime warranty on their PRO cards if you do one in.

i rent cameras at the moment and i'm taking a serious at the 1Ds. since i have Nikon glass it will be a painfull transfer if it occurs because nikon is not currently meeting the criteria of full frame.

here is a possible purchase location:

http://www.ichq.com/mfgs/LEXAR.html
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2003, 10:59 AM   #5

Mike_PEAT

the limitations on cf cards today are set by the transfer bus of the device using them and the matching of the controllers. the current group of good cf cards exceed the xfr rates of 95% of digital cameras by a large margin.
Old Apr 2, 2003, 2:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjms
Mike_PEAT

the limitations on cf cards today are set by the transfer bus of the device using them and the matching of the controllers. the current group of good cf cards exceed the xfr rates of 95% of digital cameras by a large margin.
But with CF, isn't the controller on the card itself...unlike SM where the controller is in the camera itself.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2003, 3:06 PM   #7

yes but then again not all controllers are designed/created equal too. this has been demonstrated often. refer to the DB.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007